96 E320 Engine light

I have an engine light that I constantly reset, and it comes back on no matter what I do. The error code was EGR valve, so I replaced that, and it came back on. When I check the code again, the same error comes up, the EGR. I just bought the car about 6 months ago, so I did a service that included new plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and a new gas cap, since the old one wasn't factory. I was told that could cause the light to go on. The car runs fine. Is ther anything else I could check? Or, if I could, would love to disconnect the check engine light on the dash. Is this an easy task? Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Let a Mercedes mechanic look at it.

Reply to
Tiger

"Tiger" wrote in news:lk20d.9619$bE1.5470030 @news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

I did, that is who read the code for me

Reply to
Steve

Common problem on 104 engine.. The EGR pipe gets blocked where it enters the head. Left/rear of engine. They can be cleaned out , but the best remedy is to replace the tube with the a modified part/kit. Available only through Benz.

Reply to
AJDalton7

My 90' 300E check engin code says 16. Manual says it's EGR. I checked everything but all works fine.

Can anybody tell how the computer figures out the EGR valve malfunctioning?

Thanks in advance.

Don

Reply to
Don

There is a recall for that problem. It is 90-0442. It affects the CIS-E control unit. If the build date on it is below a certain number, you get a new ECU.

This is one of the times it pays to check with your dealer!

Reply to
Karl