Advice needed 450 SLC

Hi Gang, I'm a first time Merecedes owner that just bought a very nice 1973

450 SLC. I have always liked this particular car, and have looked at several that have been for sale in the past. Invariably, they either had bad transmissions, or the trans had been replaced. The latter is the case with my car.

Other than weak transmissions, what are the other weak points of these cars?

I have always pulled my own wrenches and don't mind digging into just about anything, but my experience has been mostly with classic British sportscars. I've never owned a German car before this.

So far, I'm very impressed!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've no contact with the 450SL/SLC's but have a "tad" of experience with the British stuff. If you lived to survive such insanities as synchronizing SU carbs, troubleshooting Lucas electrics (Lucas... "The Prince of Darkness"), wobbly-spoked wheels with knock-off hubs, dual-6 volt batteries, horn buttons in the middle of the dash, etc. etc. I've no doubt that your new project will be a (ahem!) "ride in the park"!

I love the English classic sports car look (they always tended to look similar to German cars built thirty years earlier, giving them the look if not the feel of perennial classics), but the engineering was straight from hell! Yep... I think your new toy will be a lot less taxing on your nerves... enjoy!

Paul

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

Paul, I've owned British cars since I was 15 (33 years now!), and consider the little nuances as normal maintenance. Currently have 9 in my collection including a couple of big Healeys (my all time fav), and MG-TD and a few others.

SU carbs are very easy to set up once you know how, and I've never had an electrical failure. The most frequent problem has been with the hydraulics (brakes and clutch). They just used inferior alloys, and when they sit a long time, corrode. I really love my Britmobles, but right now they aren't talking to me. I've got all of the Brit speak down (bonnet, spanner, Whitworth, boot, etc). Now I have to learn German! ;-)

I'm looking forward to learning more about my new ride. It doesn't have the classic looks of my Britmobiles, but the overall quality is much better.

Steve

Darkness"),

Reply to
Steve

Heheheh...

Positive ground electrical systems, dual 6 volt batteries in series to provide 12volts, interior cable release in lieu of door handles, laminated bumpers, side curtains (what's a window crank?), distributors mounted so close to the ground that early morning dew prevents starting, are only the tip of my "fond" British automotive remembrances! :o)

One of my all time favorite Brit-car experiences was actually a situation "enjoyed" by a friend. We were both stationed at a northern Maine military installation at the time (Loring AFB 1968-1972, 27th Fighter Interceptor Sqdn), and he had chosen to re-up (re-enlist) for an additional 4 years so as to get enough $$$ in re-enlistment bonuses to realize his dream of getting an E-type Jag' convertible (often mis-referred to as an XKE... there was no such critter as an "XKE"). Nevermind the nearest dealer was hundreds of miles to the south of us, and our climate consisted of 9 months of severe winter followed by three months of spring skiing conditions, he HAD to get that car!

Well, it was everything he had ever hoped for and then some... until the first rainfall. It seems it had a leak that emanated from the bow frame (oak I think) that formed the "hood's" (convertible top) coupling with the windscreen. Not a minor leak mind you, but water gushed in like a friggin' waterfall! After several trips to the dealer without correcting the problem, he was referred to a larger distributor (Boston, I think?), and they too were unsuccessful in finding a fix. By now, after traveling many hundreds of miles and totally despondent over the situation, he fired off a letter to Jaguar (British Leyland?) in England. Their response was classically "proper" British mentality (no offense intended) and I still laugh my arse off everytime I recall it: "Sir, a gentleman does NOT drive his Jag' in the rain." End of message... you just have to love it!

I left the base shortly thereafter (not "needing" a new car I did NOT re-up! :o), but assume he enjoyed the next 4 years of his military career, safe in the knowledge that he had now fulfilled his dream! :o)

I did covet the Healey 3000's, Morgans still get my attention (the ash frames are kinda' weird though), but my jaded experiences were mainly from ill-fated relationships with MG T types and a twin-cam 1600 MGA... pretty to look at, fun to drive, but requiring constant tinkering to keep purring. I like to get my knuckles dirty too now and again, but my first love with cars is to actually DRIVE them! :o)

In any event, your SLC will likely become a favored classic in your stable... enjoy!

Paul

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

You should know that M-B has a "Classic" parts department that can supply nearly anything your car may need. Call MBUSA 1-800-367-6372 and ask for the Classic Parts Dept.

Since you DIY this is a good car for you. It has mechanical valves that need adjustment every 15K or 20K miles - that's an afternoon's sport.

There are owners' groups see

also
and MBCA mercedes club of america

Good luck with your new prize.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"Steve" wrote in news:MkTlb.34446$ snipped-for-privacy@typhoon.sonic.net:

The Sycrolock transmission is the best in the world. These tranny's should never wear out when properly maintained!

Unfortunately, there are too many examples that haven't been.

Have the fluid/filter/torque converter serviced by a certified MB mechanic every 30,000 miles and you will be ok.

Reply to
George Mann

Hi All, I have no idea about cars...but I know what I like :) and I too am a first time MB owner and went for the 1975 450 SLC. The thing is a dream to drive (compaired to my only other cars, 2 x1.3ltr fords, escort and lazer) and I look forward to my honourary OPEC oil membership card. The only and biggest issue Ive had has been fuel consumption. It is a thirsty car! let me know if you get better than 6kms/ltr, Ill be very jealous. Enjoy

-tom

Reply to
Lurker