The cars Mercedes failed to make

Hi folks,

just recently german classic car magazine Motor Klassik brought a comparison between the most terrific german cars of the 70's: Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M1 and Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9. In this article editor Alf Cremers suggested that Mercedes made a mistake by not fitting the 6.9 engine to the C107 Mercedes 450 SLC. He uttered the opinion that this would have been the ultimate Gran Turismo of the 70's. Okay, here is my question: Which cars did Mercedes fail to launch to market? Here are my entries to the wish list:

  1. Mercedes C111/2 (Ford finally launched the GT40, so come on, guys!)
  2. Mercedes W126 convertible (the handmade converted cars look promising)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

  1. Mercedes 300SLD turbodiesel (oil-burning W107 for the frugal)
  2. Mercedes 450STE (W116 premium station wagon for the American market).

Thinking outside the box, Geoff

'91 300D 2.5 89K '82 300CD 162K

Reply to
Geoff Miller

  1. 300cd (w123) cabriolet

Bernard '79 300sd

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

  1. 300cd (w123) cabriolet >>

A real S-class! Regards, Jayanthan (Jay) Bala. P.S. In the future please use: [ snipped-for-privacy@hitpix.net]

Reply to
Jay1Bala

What's that?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

They did make a "real S-class." It was the W126. ;-)

Reply to
CND

Interesting comment about the 450SLC. My daily driver is a '73

450SLC, and in my opinion, the car is heavy enough as it is. Putting a larger engine in would probably require major suspension and frame re-design.

Steve

Reply to
Steve