Air conditioner & troubleshooting

Hi to all,

I need some guidance. Now that the weateher is hotm my air conditioner konked out. It seemed to have faded away over the past

2-3 weks. AT first it worked fine. Then it worked fine in the cool mornings, and sporadically in the warmer afternoons. Thenk OK in the AM, and nothing once it got hot.

Now, nothing. It was an all-or-nothing deal, not sorta cool air, beut either it worked or it didn't.

The car: 1987 300D

Where should I begin my troubleshooting? and are there any tips out there?

Thanks to all.

I just wanna be a cool guy again.

Reply to
Mr. Bill

Sounds to me you might have a leak. Get yourself some IVORY liquid soap and put the soap on all your connections. When you see a bubble on a fitting, that probably is the leak. Evacuating and recharging is another time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill G.

I'm not sure that it is a leak, based on the problem's nature. It was binary at first. The AC either worked or it did not. Mostly it workes in the morning (cool weather) and not in the afternoon (warmer weather), although it was not exclusively that way.

Reply to
Mr. Bill

Car a/c's have a low pressure switch on the compressors. They run until the suction (low side) pressure goes to 20psi. Anything below that the compressor shuts of so it wont run it goes into a vacuum and all the oil (in the compressor) migrates out to the condenser. A compressor does run (at all) with out oil! When the pressure goes up to 50psi the compressor will kick on again.If the pressure doesn't fall below 20psi you can charge it. But first look for a leak.

Bill

Reply to
Bill G.