At What Mileage Will I Need Brake Work? 2002 S500

I've got about 26,000 miles on my 2002 S500. I'm getting a slight squeaking sound in the front brakes when I brake for a stop sign at a slow speed. Should I be needing brake pads or other brake work this soon?

Reply to
DaFlaBear

They might need it. But the stock pads can be a bit noisy/dusty. There's no real set mileage - they console brake wear indicator will tell you when to replace the pads. Try simply hosing them off to clean off excess dust.

Reply to
Josh

You are overdue for a brake job. Oh - by the way - it is called a brake job because it will break you. Probably around 600 for pads only. Of course you probably also need rotors all the way around. It is a Mercedes, and they do not last well but they do stop well, especialy at the stealership!

mcbrue honestly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

Check out BMV Auto Parts in Richmond, BC (604)273-3636, they quite reasonable prices and are Benz experts. Though if you can afford a new S500 you probably won't bother with the hassle to save a couple hundred :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

LOL!!

Juergen (having had the chance yesterday to test a BMW 116i - yikes, _now_ I know the A-Class _is_ better!)

Reply to
Juergen .

It all depends on the individual driver and his driving habits.The shrieking noise comes from the brake sensors, indicating new pads. If you replace your brake pads with Mercedes pads or any o.e. like Pagid, your front wheels will continue to be black from black graphite in the pads. If you want cleaner wheels that are not black, use Rotex Gold pads (made for all cars and models) available discounted from coximport.com. The stopping power is the same as o.e. pads without the black brake dust. P.

Reply to
pkmaven

Doesn't this beast also have electronic sensors that should tell you the pads are worn? Of course they aren't fool proof, so I'd pull the wheels and have a look.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
marlin

Reply to
marlin

Reply to
marlin

This doesn't mean anything. A certain amount of free play in the pads can allow for a vibration to occur at certain speeds/brake pressures.

This doesn't mean your pads are worn, or that anything is wrong.

If you go to an autoparts store, you will see a bunch of products that are "anti-squeek" products. These are basically glues that cement the brake pads to the calipers so that they don't vibrate.

Of course having a mechanic eyeball the pads and verify they still look like they have some life left doesn't hurt any...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I pressure cleaned the front wheels/brakes (at the car wash) and did two semi hard stops (I still hate to do that without cause). You guys were right, it stopped (at least for now). Didn't know about the sensor light on the dash. One of these days I'll get off my ass and read the owners manual. Seriously, thanks all you guys. The dealer won't tell ya this stuff, only "we must service the car according to factory standards".

" Tomorrow is promised to no one".... Walter Payton, 10/7/84.

Reply to
DaFlaBear

So, make cause. That thing sgot what, 302hp? Use em. Richard

Reply to
marlin

I would say that if the brakes are not used for what they are meant - and used *hard* to stop a car instead of dropping speed - the pads and rotors glaze eventually and there is nothing to apply if needed urgently. :-((((( I recently replaced the front pads with Lockheed ones and somehow they have progressive effect - the effectiveness increases along with the pad temperature rise. I like that.

Helar

Reply to
Helar Laasik

Yes, sure it COULD be that, but with it suddenly appearing at 26K miles how can you be so sure that it's not pads worn down? Not sure on this car, but some pads definitely have little metal clips designed to make a warning squeal if the pads wear down too far. And at 26K, I'd suspect that before I'd think they suddenly just developed a squeal. In any case, the only right thing to do is pull the wheels and look, not guess.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
marlin

Only if your pads are utter junk.

ALl racing compound pads work like that. They don't come OEM like that because they have a tendency to squeal, especially if you don't brake hard, and when cold they don't stop all that great. Get em hot and you're golden though. Richard

Reply to
marlin

On 2004-12-19 02:22:03 -0800, Helar Laasik said: I recently replaced the front pads with Lockheed ones and somehow they

As long as it doesn't get too progressive and lock up when it's really hot...

Reply to
Martin Joseph