GM Brake Pads

I got my brake pads and rotors renewed at a GM dealer, 20k miles ago. I was at a different GM dealer getting other work done and they commented that I had 3mm left on the pads and they were needing changed. I told the serivce manager that they had been changed only

20k and thought they should have lasted longer. ( I ain't no boy racer).

Anyway he said, no need to worry as GM pads come with a lifetime replacement warranty but I would have to go back to the original GM dealer who did the brake work. So I make the call to the original dealer about the brakes and get informed that they only cover 12 months or 12,000 miles.

My question is, does such a replacement warranty on GM pads exist or was I being told a porky pie?

The car in question is a Malibu 2001. I thought I should have at least have got 35k out a set of pads. What do GM make the pads out of, cheese?

Reply to
Dave

I don't know anything about GM pads, because I don't use GM pads or rotors on my cars. I find it difficult to believe a dealer would off lifetime free replacement on wear part though. 20,000 is pretty low for brakes, but the Malibu used to have a problem with the pads fitting too tightly in the caliper and causing hangs. This would prematurely wear the pads out. The problem is the caliper not the pad, and switching to aftermarket pads was not the solution. The solution was to grind just a bit off of the ear that fits up into the caliper so that the pad was not binding up. Greatly extended the life of the pads. I know this was a problem with the 98 Malibu, but I don't know if the same problem persists with the later models.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

GM breaks on my 2001 Buick are good and bad. I changed the front breaks at 30000 miles when I installed new drilled and slotted roters.The OEM rotors warped at about 20000 miles. The rear breaks now have 88000 miles on them and will need to be changed before a 100000 miles. The after market rotors and pads now have 58000 miles and may last another 20000 miles or more, so on this GM car the OEM front breaks were crap and the rear breaks are great. ernie

Reply to
ernie

Is that, perhaps, because the rear brakes normally carry little of the braking load? I think I have heard the figure of 20% or thereabout quoted.

On an 89 Regal I used to own, the rear discs were really bad about not adjusting (because nobody would use the parking brake as is necessary in that model), and the extra braking load had to be absorbed by the front brakes. It caused extra wear, warping, and poor stopping.

Reply to
<HLS

I go through a set of pads in 25,000-30,000kms, but I brake late and hard all the time. I know someone that goes through a set every 15,000kms, but I know that person is a two foot driver. Heck, I know someone who goes through a set of pads every 5,000kms becuase the cars sits in the driveway 10 months out of the years.

Check this out:

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Mackie wrote : I go through a set of pads every 25,000 - 30,000 miles, but I brake hard and late.........

I must of been driving behind YOU the other night because I was following a guy that was braking hard & late, I gave him the horn at one point and got the hell around him.

LOL !

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 34,255 91 Bonneville LE 306,010
Reply to
Harry Face

;)

Reply to