aux fan relay 1983 300D [CA]

The auxiliary fan on my 1983 300D only seems to work when the relay is jiggled. Any way to isolate whether to replace the relay or look for a bad jack or wiring?

Reply to
j b

It would seem it's either the relay or the wiring/socket where the relay plugs in. What do the contacts look like? Any corrosion, loose, etc? You could also identify the two terminals that go to the fan and try putting a piece of heavy wire across them instead of the relay and see what happens. If it the fan runs reliably that way, then good chance it's the relay.

Also don't know the conditions that the fan is supposed to run under on your car. But on my 300SD it only comes on when either the coolant temp goes beyond a certain point too high or the refrigerant temp at the receiver/dryer gets over a certain point. Under normal conditions, neither happens.

Reply to
trader4