Brake light

The orange brake light on the instrument panel that signifies worn front brake pads has started coming on, not full time but intermittently. I assume it's time to renew the pads. But the car is not scheduled for its next regular maintenance until May. How long can I get away with driving with that light coming on? I would prefer to get everything don e at once.

Reply to
Gogarty

It all depends on if you want to replace your rotors, too.

Reply to
Josh

I guess its common sense....If the brake light comes on its by far time to do the brakes regardles of when the next inspection is! But then again your the one driving the automobile your the only one who knows. Regards Dan

Reply to
Someone who loves his Bens

My mechanic says you could probably run a couple of hundred miles after the light goes steady. But it's in the shop now getting new pads.

Reply to
Gogarty

Good move - but I guess I should have asked how many miles you drive in a week. I go a couple of hundred within a week and hate to tear up rotors.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

Not more than a hundred most weeks. It's a city car and sits parked most of the time.

In any case, the fault proved to be the sensor and not the pads. But they were getting thin so we replaced them along with the sensor. Rotors are fine. Rear rotors had to be replaced a year ago.

Reply to
Gogarty