brake pad light

The low brake pad warning light came on in my 300SDL yesterday, but i am not sure it is working correctly. It flickers when i first apply the brakes, then goes out while i am still braking. Other times it will not come on until i have come to a complete stop and will stay on while i am stopped, but if i let off the brake and roll forward the light will not come on again when i re-apply the brake. It sometimes flickers lightly when i am driving and not applying the brakes at all. Is this a faulty reading by a sensor or bad light or something wrong with the brake system? TIA, Shannon

86 300sdl 281k 80 450sl 216k
Reply to
sdp1s

marlinspike

Believe it or not, that is normal behaviour. The pad has worn down so that the wear detector is *just* touching the disc, but it will be intermittent as minor local variations in the disc surface sometimes mean that it will not touch it, hence the light will not come on. Change the pads before you get metal to metal contact. Ouch. DD

Reply to
Stratman

Yes. I see it too.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

My 89' 560SEL is in for service today for the exact same reason.

Reply to
Sonnyb72

message

Reply to
marlinspike

Ahh, you know what I meant. Even the independant mechanic wants $247...I'll be doing it myself now, just waiting for the pads to come in. Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

Out there every shopd just play safe, cause they have the responsibility (legally) to make sure you drive in a safe vehicle. Of course this is an excuse they rob you. If you have a c-class or e-class (looks similar to c-class to me) buy a Haynes C-class repairing manual will help.

Keith Beast

"marlinspike" be8gah$g7h$ snipped-for-privacy@bob.news.rcn.net...

$247...I'll