w126 tail lights

When replacing a bulb in the tail assembly of my 300SDL, i noticed the red part of the cover on the inside (between the back up light and license plate) does not have any wiring running to it. There is the same shaped hole in the cover, which i thought might be a holder for a spare bulb? Why is the red part there if it does not light? Shannon '86 300SDL 284k miles '80 450SL 218k miles

Reply to
sdp1s

Hello,

That is possible for the rear red fog lamp. I would rather see just ONE rear red fog lamp on driver's side as to differiate it from brake lamps. If your 300SDL is equipped with rear red fog lamp, leave it alone. Don't add second one. Thanks.

Oliver

sdp1s wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society