CLS55 Bent Rims

A dealer told my friend all four rims on his 2006 CLS55 were bent. How likely is this to happen in normal driving?

I have a C32 and have driven mine on less than perfect roads in Boston, Houston, I-10 through Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida and never a problem in 4 years. Seems unlikely to me that he bent them under normal driving conditions. Have any of you experienced this?

Reply to
Browser Appliance user

Underinflated tires?

Reply to
me

You two had different tire profile? What is normal driving, not reducing speed enough at speed bumps?

Reply to
Me

I know this guy would be very careful with this car. I doubt he would go over a speed bump or pot hole fast. However, in certain situations you can't go slow. An uneven connection in the interstate is a situation where you can't go 5mph.

Just like the glass and computer chips in the cars are engineered and built to withstand the rigors they face in a car. If they knew they were going to use very low profile tires on a relatively heavy car, wouldn't they engineer a rim to withstand the rigors of normal driving conditions. Most carmakers do. I didn't think they were bent but that this was a dealer trying to make a fast buck. Sounds like other owners have heard of this though?!

Reply to
Browser Appliance user
1) Get a second opinion.

2) Rims are cheap on ebay/craigslist.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I have seen quite a few bent wheels but none of MB original from normal driving. If the car owner has not been in a situation he/she would have felt hitting the wheels specifically strongly, it sounds like you say, they are trying to make a few extra bugs (a second opinion like Richard suggests is a good idea, it is anyway easy to detect this with normal tire shop tools, just check that the wheels are round, not only well balanced).

I still claim that it is not difficult to drive the wheels over a curb or so and make them bend, but not without the driver noticing this.

Reply to
Me

A CLS55 will have AMG alloy rims. Not cheap, even on eBay.

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox

Sooooooome times they are. But you're right in that you can just dial in 4 real cheap when you need one. But there's one cheap on ebay right now actually.

Try this in google:

mercedes amg site:craigslist.org

It deos a half decent job of finding AMG stuff from eevry city at once, CL search limits you to a city at a time (but is a more effective search).

Reply to
Richard Sexton