Could this be motor mounts?

Hi group,

230e 1992, 90k miles, original mounts. The car is shaky when idle, slightly but to the point that you can feel some tremor on seats. The revs gauge oscillate constantly while idle, but very little, about 30 rpm or so, wich I think is not enough to shake the seats. Trying to improve the idle, I have cleaned the Idle Control Valve with no success. Also I've looked for vacuum leaks and didn't found any. When in D with brake pedal pressed, and gas pedal stepped on, the engine twists 1-2 inches (a simple test I saw while searching this group). So im guessing motor mounts. But inspected visually, the mounts appears to be fine, the rubber is not cracked and is not sepparated from metal. I will appreciate if someone of you could advice me wether to replace the mounts or look for other sources of this shaky idle before that. Thanks in advance. MMansilla
Reply to
Marcelo Mansilla

Check the ohm resistance of each ignition wire.

How many miles / kms on these spark plugs?

Have you added fuel injector to the fuel?

If the spark plugs are relatively new, the ignition wires OK and you're satisfied that the fuel injectors are clean then its time to seriously consider the motor mounts.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Yeah... I would say age gotten to the engine mounts.

Reply to
Tiger

Hi TG: Spark plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, all new (two months, Beru). I'm certainly not completely satisfied about the injectors (slightly difficult warm start). I've tried to clean them with several different brands of cleaners in the tank. The following step would be ultrasonic cleaning, but where I live new injectors does not cost much more. So, from yours and Tiger´s answers I'm now thinking that both engine supports and injectors are old enough to get replaced. Thank you. MMansilla

"T.G. Lambach" escribió en el mensaje news:p6SdnYgrBbaBK9vZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Marcelo Mansilla

Hard warm start is usually the fuel accumulator.

Reply to
Tiger

Well, Yes. I posted my warm start problem here a while ago and was adviced to check the accumulator. I then disconnected the rubber hose between acc and fuel line, and it wasn´t leaking any fuel. Someone else told me to change the fuel filter, it was almost new, but the car had been sitted several weeks while on sale before I bought it. I changed the filter and the hard starting improves let's say 60%. Interestingly the fuel coming out from the back of the replaced filter was cloudy, full of sediment. Maybe this is normal for a filter doing its task (yes, that was my first fuel filter replacement job), but anyway, still the warm start difficulty remains a little, so I'm suspecting a leaking injector due to somehow similar reason, wich on the other hand could be affecting the idle. Regards, MMansilla.

"Tiger" escribió en el mensaje news:wGR1g.36$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga...

Reply to
Marcelo Mansilla

Sediment is not normal... meaning someone dumped sand into fuel tank.

Reply to
Tiger

No, sorry, ...I didn´t meant it in that way. There was not visible solid particles in the filter's fuel. Just it was not translucent. I´m theorizing that while the car was parked for a long time, a thin layer of fuel impurities (or tank rust) was deposited at the bottom of the tank. When the car started running again this layer went right to the fuel lines, this way clogging the (almost new) fuel filter and prehaps other fuel line points.

"Tiger" escribió en el mensaje news:GFU1g.33$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.lga...

Reply to
Marcelo Mansilla

Oh... okay... then yeah, it might be totally possible the new filter is clogged.

Reply to
Tiger

Well, it was.

I just installed the engine right, left, and transmission mounts. Total parts US$180 at local MB dealer, and easy DIY job (on the lift). The effects of changing them went far beyond the idle. The car is accelerating and breaking much better now, suspension improves too. The whole running is more "solid" and smooth. The old engine mounts were apparently in good shape, but they were 5 mm smaller in height than the new ones. As for the idle, it improves but the seats still shake a little, symptom of a not even fuel injection pattern, I think. So, next job is injectors. Thanks for your help. MMansilla

"Tiger" escribió en el mensaje news:GFU1g.33$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.lga...

Reply to
MMansilla