Motor Mounts ?

What do you guys know about "motor mounts" ?

Reply to
John A. Bailo

They keep the engine from dragging on the ground.

Reply to
JHG

Ok, so this is my real question.

My mechanic, who fixed my "manifold sensor" that was causing the car to conk out at every stop sign, says my motor mounts are "broken".

But the engine doesn't drag on the ground.

So, how can that be possible ?

Reply to
John A. Bailo

Motor mounts keep the engine in place and prevents rattle & vibrations.

A motor mount is a rubber block bonded to a steel plate. The mount is bolted to the engine and to the frame. Over time the rubber disintegrates or cracks or it breaks free of the steel plate causing the engine to move or vibrate when a load is placed on the engine.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 33,175 91 Bonneville LE 305,358
Reply to
Harry Face

If you wait long enough, the engine will drag on the ground. However, before that happens it will stretch and destroy all sorts of hoses, wires, exhaust systems, half shafts, etc.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Very possible. Been there, done that. Top mount was intact, bottom mounts broken.

Reply to
REP