LOUD V70 door popping sound

About a month ago, the driver side door of our '99 V70 wagon started making a popping sound when opened, actually 2 pops when opened fully. It has gotten progressively louder and now is pretty embarrassing. We had the dealer look at it and they informed us that we would 'have to take it to a body shop' to get it repaired.... b/c they can't (reading between the lines - aren't interested) in fixing it... apparently, the mechanism that keeps the door from swinging out too fast has worn out. 2 questions:

Has anyone had this issues before; and if so can you give me a ball price I should expect to pay to fix? and If yes to above, did your dealer fix it or did you have to take it to a 'body shop'.

Thanks in advance for anything!

brian charlotte, nc

Reply to
Brian Drake

Costs me about $200 to have my volvo guy re-weld and reinforce the bracket.. Here is a DYI approach

Bill

Reply to
William MILLS

Also, if it isn't broken yet, here is another fix.

Bill

Reply to
William MILLS

This link might be of interest

About a month ago, the driver side door of our '99 V70 wagon started making

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

"William MILLS" skrev i meddelandet news:ecL1e.7167$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

I would try to fit NordLock lock washers in order to secure the nuts.

It may thoug be difficult to get the washers in place since it seems to be such a struggle to get the nuts in position.

/aw

Reply to
Anders Wiklund

This has happened a couple of times on the passenger door (LHS) on my UK-spec 1999 V70 2.5D. In both cases, nothing was actually broken. The torx screw only needs to be *slightly* loose for the door to make a really awful noise.

So the first thing to ty is to get yourself a Torx-40 bit and do the screw up really tight. That may well fix it. Only if something is cracked is any welding needed.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

THANKS everybody for the responses.... Ill see if some of the tightening suggested will do the trick, if not its off to the welder ! thanks again !

Reply to
Brian Drake