97 Camry Popping/Clunk Sound

Recently, when turning while the car is in reverse, I started noticing a popping sound coming from the area near my right front tire. Now, when I accelerate quickly from a dead stop or drive away after being stopped on a hill, I'm hearing that same popping/clunk noise from the right front tire. When I'm stopped at a light and then take my foot off the brake, wait a second, and then gently accelerate, I don't hear it. I've had a couple of mechanics take a look at the cv boot for the right front tire, but they tell me that it's not cracked or broken. Is it possible that the cv joint has gone bad, but the boot is not broken? Or, is there something else going on? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
John516

My first guess would be the CV joint is bad. My second guess would be some suspension part is worn or damaged.

Reply to
badgolferman

Usually, when a CV starts to wear-out, you can see the wheel concerned jerking on a slow turn where you or an observer watches the wheel. What makes the noise, is the balls in the CV joint travelling back and forth in their worn tracks. As the balls go past a worn piece of track, they then reach lessor worn track which causes them to jerk as they accomodate the wider clearance. Its a bit hard to describe,..but thats my best description.

At highway speed and on long sweeping curves, a noisy CV will make a definate "thrum thrum" noise, not dissimilar noise when drummimg your fingers on a table.

The only other thing which canmake a similar noise is loose wheel-nuts or lugs.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James