E320 Check Engine

Tonight while driving my 1998 E320 (51,000 miles) the check engine light came on, along with "check engine electronics" in the analog readout. I didn't notice any difference in the way the car drove or ran, but it still worries me. Does anyone know what could cause this, will it be covered under the starmark warranty and can I still drive the car until the dealer can get my car in? Thanks for quick replies.

Reply to
Paddington

First off, check and make sure the fuel filler cap is tightly secured. It will cause the CE light to come on if it's not tightened down, or in some way allowing air to escape.

If that doesn't resolve it, find an auto supply parts desk with an OBDII scanner you can borrow (typically you leave a driver's license and walk the unit out to the car for a quick test). That will give you the pending and stored fault codes, which you can look up online for further troubleshooting.

It usually turns out to be a sensor of some kind O2 or MAS or gascap or fuel level pressure sensor, possibly the charcoal cannister that temporarily absorbs gasoline vapors from the gas tank. If you overfilled your gastank, by the way, it can flood the charcoal cannister and cause rough running, the CE light to come on, and possibly ruin the cannister.

Some things to start with.

Reply to
Rugbyguy

All depends what went wrong. Almost all electrical failures are covered, i.e. the air mass sensor, purge valve, O2 sensors, etc. But vacuum leaks are not covered, i.e. evap vent valve, hoses at the charcoal cannister, etc. Just about anything causing P0170 or P0173 is covered. But not all are covered for P0450 or P0455. If you live in California, you are also covered by

7/70 emissions warranty.
Reply to
Karl

It may be as simple as the gas cap not being tight (if it is loose, it might take a few days of driving to clear). You might be able to go by somewhere like Autozone and have them check the OBDII codes.

i.e. the air mass sensor,

vent valve, hoses at the

covered. But not all are

covered by 7/70 emissions

Reply to
Josh

On this topic, it is a great investment to buy an OBDII code reader. You can get them for under $100 so you can read the codes yourself before going to the dealer. The same OBDII system is on all cars after 1996 I think. This way you can find out right away, and also make sure dealers dont charge you for things you dont need. Most of them you just connect the plug and read the code. The codes are published many places. The plugs all have to be within 3' of the steering wheel and freely available.

I have this one

I found it on ebay for It may be as simple as the gas cap not being tight (if it is loose, it might

Reply to
Agreed

By law, all code readers must read the P0xxx codes, i.e. P0170, P0455. They do not read the P1xxx and P2xxx fault codes. As an example, say you have a air pump fault, it would be P0410 on a code reader. Big deal, P0410 is 'fault in air injection logic chain'. So you spend a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong. If you had the MB SDS tester, [$25000 and up!!], you would get fault code P2003 and you would save a bunch of test time knowing that the problem is a lazy O2 sensor [yes, the O2 sensor is how the engine knows the air injection is working, by 'seeing' the burst of fresh air and the instant lean-ness at the sensor. If the sensor does not instantly change its values, you get a fault code].

Reply to
Karl

Will this OBD11 work on the 190E 2.6 1992? I'm on my way to AUTO ZONE to pick up brake pads. Or is there another code reader I must use.?..............Rick

Reply to
r parris
92 should be OBD1. They used blink codes.
Reply to
Karl

Hi Karl,

What do think the 38pin plug for 95 C-class? Is it a ODB2?

b-east

"Karl" ¦b¶l¥ó news:6sqcc.3297$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Reply to
admin