"check engine" "engine electronics"

I just replaced the glow plugs on a 1998 E300TD using information found in this newsgroup. Y'all saved me a lot of money and frustration.

Since replacing the GPs, I still get the "check engine" "engine electronics" messages on the dash display. Does the car's computer need to be reset or is there perhaps something else wrong?

Thanks so much

pjs

Reply to
Paul J. Shane

You mean they have returned, or they simply persisted? You have to reset a stored code (with a scanner) or hjave a dealer do it.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Bill

Those warnings came on one morning when starting. The dash glow plug indicator continued to display indicating the real problem was in the GP system. I replaced the GPs and now the GP indicator does not stay lit. The other warnings are persisting.

I was hoping there would be a way for me to reset the computer without losing a day dealing with a dealer.

tnx/pjs

Bill Ditmire wrote:

Reply to
Paul J. Shane

--- Or disconnect the battery for a minute or so, re-enter the radio code, then drive the car for a mile or two (to reset things). Sometimes a cold reset will leave things scrambled at first, ie: the sunroof switch actions seem reversed, "express" down on the windows will not work, etc. etc but after driving a mile or two and then turning the car completely off (as in remove the key), when it is restarted things will once again work and the databases will continue to be rebuilt.

This will not alter the odometer reading nor the "miles to next service" count.

--- Or have the dealer reset it.

Paul

---

---

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

At our shop we usually decode and reset a computer code for free or minimal charge while the customer waits. Call a couple places in your area and find one who will do this. We use a Baum CS2000 and Snap-On MODIS systems.