Help- check engine electronics

Can anyone please offer insight as to what may have happened:

97 E320 - Check engine light went on- also, check engine electronics on the read out. Car drives but will not go beyond first gear.

This doesn't sound good.. and I was about to put money into replacing the evaporator...

Thank you...

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Not sure, you really need OBD2 diagnostic scanner to find out what is going on.

Reply to
Tiger

Is your evaporator leaking? Most of the time the problem with these E class is that you need a new evaporator temp sensor to fix A/C problem... maybe that is where the freon might be leaking from.

Reply to
Tiger

Where would the temp sensor be? Per the dealer, he has to take aprt dash to get to evaporator. I can tell you the driver side doesn't get cold- only passenger side.. that, gets just cool...

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Sounds like an incompetent dealer. Take it to another MB dealer. Evaporator never go bad... the reason is it is in protected area where you can't accidently smash it.

MB did have evaporator problem but only on W140 big older S class but they learned their lesson and was a manufacture defect. I have not heard problem on W210 yet.

The sensor is located on the driver side under the dash near the center dash area. You can't take it out without evacuating the A/C system of freon... MB dealer has that proprietary diagnostic computer to check what is wrong with A/C system.

The evaporator sensor problem is usually accompanied by a "locked" EC mode... that you can't turn of... red lite on EC button is always on.

Driver side and passenger side has it's own temperature setting...

In any case, do not let them rob you of your precious money.

Reply to
Tiger

My 1997 SL500 has the problem that the EC light is always on... Dealer says leaky evaporator. I added freon along with oil and the AC cools OK until the freon slowly leaks out. I press the EC button for ten seconds to make the EC light go out and the compressor to come on..

Reply to
DOCCOOMBS1

Add some sealer... most holes are so small that the sealer can do the job with no harm to the system... and a whole lot cheaper than evaporator job.

Reply to
Tiger