E320 Qurestion

Hi
I have recently bought a E320 1996 it has 93000 Miles. My question is, is it normal for example in the morning or from a cold start that the gear change
takes a while. As I pull away the engine seems to get to about 2500 3000 rpm before it changes gear. I have been told because it is a big engine it probably needs to warm up, because once the engine is warm it changes gear very smoothly without having to get to high revs. It only does it the one time starting from a cold start.
I hope that makes sense
Kind regds
Si
I didn't check my '95 E320 this morning, but I believe that it holds in first gear for a bit when the engine is cold.
Yes, it is normal. It has delayed upshift to warm up the O2 sensor. It is designed to that and it is working.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:50:43 +0000 (UTC) you wrote:

That's normal behavoiur. If you don't want it, unplug on of the the magnetic valves on the left side. Just the power, not the vacuum hose. One valve is for the coldstart gear change, the other one is for the E/S switch.
Marcus E320 '96

is it

change
Thanks for your replies. I am glad that it is supposed to do this, I thought I had a gear box problem. Although I must admit it does sound like I'm a boy racer in the morning who does not know when to change gear :>)
You mentioned that it could be turned off, is there any danger in doing this to the engine, would it make the gear changing smoother?
Kind regards
Si
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:38:36 +0000 (UTC) you wrote:

No problem. I disconnected the power from the valve last year. It's only for heating up the catalytic converter. Speeding up a cold engine is dangerous!
Marcus E320 '96
Thanks. I thought my '97 might need some level of servicing. You folks just saved me a few bucks.
Collin