Paderborn -

Reply to
marlinspike

limiter? buy a bike!

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

Chris,

Impressive! And I thought I had something I could smile about with my measely 191km/hr!

I apologize for such a dirty car, but I cleaned it the next day. Except for that damn instrument sneeze shield... looks like someone took it out, sneezed on the INSIDE of it, then put it back in. Anyone know how to get it out? ;)

The best I did in that car was 126mph on the speedo, which I have heard SHOULD equal out to about 129mph from a GPS unit. That's redline for me... damn all of you with your 5 and 7 speed automatic gearboxes!

And to set the "record" straight, I got my only speeding ticket (yet) for going 88mph in a 70mph zone at 1:00 AM in the middle of deserted farm country. Sweet irony.

Unfortunately, it was a Honda that took my top speed away -- a 2003 Accord V6 I drove the other day. 134mph.

I envy you Germans! Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak

Reply to
marlinspike

IT JUST TAKES FOR EVER TO GET IT GOING THAT FAST. my SD was great at speed put the front end parts were close to needing to be replaced. little shaky

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

Reply to
marlinspike

On 26 Jul 2003, marlinspike tossed this out:

Not a US, full-smog 380SE. That has around 155hp, while the OM603 has somewhere in the 125 to 135 range, but the diesel may in fact have more torque than the US 380 M116 motor. Emissions controls can be a terrible thing.

The gear ratios, especially the final drive ratio in back, are probably also different between the two cars.

Alec

Reply to
Benzaholic

I guess this is supposed to be one of the "ultimate" pictures in respect of high speed:

Chris

"Mike "Rotor" Nowak" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:nfpUa.19061$Je.6394@fed1read04...

Reply to
Christian Walther

Hello,

Yes, so does S600 (191mph, 308km/h). Wonder how fast the forthcoming

612hp S65 and CL65 will actually go...

AMG will increase the terminal speed to 185mph (300km/h) rather than to

202mph (325km/h) because of tyre availability. Not many tyre choices for beyond 300km/h rate. Even Brabus must restrict their modified Mercedes, too.

Oliver

Juergen . wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society

With the SL 55 AMG there is three versions: Normal limited 250 km/h One stage removed, 280 km/h Without limiter 325 km/h The latter has different tyres ex-factory.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

"bobb" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net...

Hi Bob,

very unlikely will they limit the below captioned Autobahns, actually they recently implemented a third lane on a long part of the A5 and removed the speed limit of 120 Km/h. I drive the route Frankfurt - Bielefeld and back more or less every fortnight, so I really know what I am talking about - I don't see any new limits in the forseeable future.

Chris

Reply to
Christian Walther

I've driven on Montana interstates, all two of them (or is there more?), almost wrecked the susupension in my honda. Too hilly for long range speeding, you don't want air at 130mph

At 130-150mph, everybody else is like a tractor, unless you're on an autobahn.

:-)

Reply to
cp

"cp" hat in Betrag news:JYkVa.548864 $ snipped-for-privacy@news2.calgary.shaw.ca dies gedichtet:

During normal traffic condition, an average speed of 180 kph for one full hour is quite rare. If you want to do that you got to know the right tracks and the right times (sunday morning 6am). When I schedule a trip from south to north (approx. 500 miles) I always take an average speed of

120 kph. This takes into consideration speeds up to 200 kph as well as construction sites, 100 kph limits and of course a short break for a coffee and a p*ss.

The mean thing with driving fast is that you are not faster in the long run. If two guys start in Munich and go to Hamburg, and one of them sets his cruise control to 130 kph (recommended max speed in germany), while the other tries to go as fast as he can, the 130 kph guy will maybe lose

10 minutes on the whole trip.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Might have been the region

:-) I took a look at a map, it seemed close!

If I remember correctly, those are all over, just suggestions, cops have immediately gotten out of my way at 220kph where 130kph signs are around.

Yes, one moment you're driving 230kph, then have to slow down 80kph, usually don't have as people get out of your way before you have to brake, THAT is civilized driving, never seen and never will see anything like it on this continent. When I drove my family from Frankfurt-Main to Frankfurt-Oder (400km) my family was continually making amazed remarks on the professionalism and skill of German drivers

Well, when you have to drive from NYC to LA it's best to set it and forget it :-) I don't think German market cars have cruise control (haven't seen any), like you said cruise control leads to passive driving, no good at high speed.

Reply to
cp

"cp" hat in Betrag news:c_EVa.586886 $ snipped-for-privacy@news1.calgary.shaw.ca dies gedichtet:

Almost every new Mercedes with auto gearbox has one, the big BMWs too. I would say: one out of five cars has one.

BTW: To call citzens of Poland "polaks" is not a sign of a good education. You should think about that.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Yeah Grant, I came through NW a couple of years ago, flat out in my 1981 300SD at 110. In some spots I never dropped below 90 for over a half hour. Never saw a cop or even another car for that matter. But, I, a lead footed ex 911 owner, would say that 155 mph is flirting with the devil. Do be carefull.

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

1/5, probably why I've never seen one

Actually, I'm a Polak, 'polak' is the Polish word for...Polak. Some uneducated Americans spell it as "pollock", how did they come up with that??

Reply to
cp

Yes, but on the autobahns they are suggestions, if not I would have been caught many times, like once around Berlin where a cop kicked me out of the fast lane when I was at full speed/

Yes

They have, the 130 zones are all over, they are suggestions, I think when the electronic ones are flashing THAT is when it's not a suggestion, in heavy traffic

We'll have to ask Juergen and Christian :-)

Reply to
cp

cp wrote: (Frank Kemper wrote)

No, definitely NOT!

The round ones with the thick red frame and the numbers printed in black are always binding, no matter where they are located.

Can't say anything about that, but the signs definitely are NOT suggestions only.

No, the flashing only shall draw more attention to the signs - they are binding, no matter where they are located and no matter if the electronic signs are flashing or not.

Frank did answer that perfectly.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Is it true that there are plans to implement limits on the entire system?

Reply to
cp