Flywheel problem for M110 engine with auto box question

Once again, and easy one.....

I got myself a low miles M110 engine to put in my 77 W123 280E. I know the engine came from a W114 series. It was off an auto model, and will be going into my auto 123. But It does not have a flywheel, but I know where I can get one. However I do not have or cannot get access to the original flywheel. My concern is fitting this, when this 'replacement' is not marked up for balance. Questions are:-

1) Is the flywheel symetrical (the Haynes manual shows one for the auto box with slots in it, but I do not now if this is for the '123' 2.8 litre engine, and not the 110).

2) There is a mark on the crankshaft that is supposed to line up with those on the flywheel. Should I just bolt the replacement flywheel onto the crank and align the marks (I am assuming here that all cranks and flywheels were marked in the same places... Is this a reasonable approach?

3) Should I get the 'replacement' flywheel balanced (wasn't this done when new?).

4) Any other suggestions as to what to do for the best.

Any help/guidance will assist me here.

Thanks... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Automatics don't have a flywheel. They have a flex plate. But if you need a flywheel, it is balanced by itself. As is the flex plate. Bolt what ever it is you need to your engine's crankshaft and assemble the rest of the trans to it. It's simple. You have a Benz, not a Chevy.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

A flywheel is an engine component, not a gearbox one. All engines have a flywheel.

Reply to
miknik

Well you're wrong. Automatics use the mass of the torque converter as the flywheel. The torque converter is attached to the crankshaft by the flex plate.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

On a Benz its bolted to the flywheel

Reply to
miknik

Not on any Benz I've had apart. What model in particular are you refering to?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

All 722.6 and 722.4 auto gearboxes have the torque converter bolted to the flywheel

Reply to
miknik

My factory manual has drive plate listed for automatics, and flywheel for standard. Want to try again?

Reply to
Chas Hurst