Heater core leak on 1992 300e 124 - fixes???

I can smell antifreeze when the heater turns on first thing, & the water in the reservoir is going down, so it looks like a have a small leak in the heater core area. Any suggestions for a fix other than the proctology necessary to get in there & replace it? If that is the only option, any inputs on what to look for from anyone who's been there, done that? How long might that take a reasonably competant home mechanic?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
CRGILL

Heater core leak on 1992 300e 124 - fixes??? Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2003, 1:24am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CRGILL) I can smell antifreeze when the heater turns on first thing, & the water in the reservoir is going down, so it looks like a have a small leak in the heater core area. Any suggestions for a fix other than the proctology necessary to get in there & replace it? If that is the only option, any inputs on what to look for from anyone who's been there, done that? How long might that take a reasonably competent home mechanic? Thanks, Chris xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

if your windows are not fogging up when put on defrost your leak is not in the cabin but under the hood and your smelling it from the air intake below the windshield

a small pin hole in the heater core will make the inside look like a steam bath.

check your hose connections

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN

Chris you can't do this yourself, also you definetly want to replace the A/C evaporator at the same time, being a 1992 etc. We charge $2,200 parts and labor to replace the evaporator, we do these all the time, I've gotten so good at it I do the 124 dash and heaterbox removal and re-install the everything with a new evporator in 1 1/2 days, that's not the actual time I spent on the car off course. My work comes with the guarranty that you will not notice that the dashboard has ever been out of the car. I hate to tell you, there is no other way to get this done. P.S heater core is in the very same location with the evaporator, no extra labor when I do the work. Martin. Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600

LOL, Absolutly, and it's rare on a 124 car. A pressure test is needed to assure. Martin. Autobahn Auto

Reply to
Bnzmn600

Is that right!! Well, I'll look under the hood some more, see if I can find where the leak really is. Thanks for the insightful & money saving input, much appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
CRGILL