Import Compliance Compenents

Thanks to who have replied to my previous posts/questions.

I have been driving the 230CE with a 190E 2.3 engine transplant around town this week. It starts, idles,and runs great. It does have a bit of a hot start problem but I think that I can control this by holding the gas pedal just right.

I thought that a steering box replacement was next on the list because it had about 3" of free play at the steering wheel. I read that to tighten it up that the set screw on the top of the box needs to be backed out not turned in. I did this and now there is no slop at all. Too cool!!

The car came with an after market electrical box. It is marked "Import Compliance Components, Inc". A Google search yields no results. The car also has an o2 sensor, a cat., and an additional fuel injector plumbed into the fuel distributor of the K-Jetronic CIS. These were not wired to the box. Apparently it intended to control the fuel mixture biased on the oxygen sensor output.

I am hoping to reach someone who knows about this component and can teach me how to use it.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

You got several problems with several fixes as below...

Fuel accumulator is bad... it is right by the fuel filter with a rubber hose on one side... if you pull the rubber hose off...and fuel keeps coming out... it is bad.

Another source is leaking EHA... black box right by the fuel distributor... if it is wet there, then it is leaking there.

Did you check the flex disc too... it is inside the cabin... just follow the steering wheel rod down... you will see a flex disc... When in accident, this part will break to prevent/reduce steering wheel push up toward the driver.

Does your steering turn back to center by itself after you make a turn? If not, then the steering box is adjusted too much.

I suspected this is an ignition box rather than anything else... see where the wires goes to...most likely the ignition coil and maybe to the battery positive and ground. If so, then don't worry about it.

Reply to
Tiger

Keep in mind that the 1985 230CE is a gray market car. Things may be different than US versions. I can identify the fuel pump and filter. There is a third component about 2/3rds the diameter and 1/4 the length of the fuel pump. It has three hoses attached to it. The manual calls it a "Fuel Reservoir" but says nothing else about it. Is this what you call the accumulator? If so, which of the three hoses would I pull of to test for leakage? I did attach a pressure gage to the fuel distributor inlet but could not produce a hot start problem in the driveway. The pressures were about 80 PSI with the pump running and 40 PSI at rest. The at rest pressure did not drop much more than a few PSI over night.

Is the hot start problem due to too much fuel or not enough?

EHA? Don't think that I have that. Remember that mine is the K not the KE-Jetronic. There are no wires to the fuel distributor.

The steering is perfect!!!

Thanks again. Scott

distributor...

Reply to