good deal or not on frontier?

i was looking at a 2004 frontier. dealer will sell it to me for about $1100 over invoice after rebates. his price was about $20400 and invoice according to edmunds and kelly blue book was about $19300. good deal or not?

Reply to
charlie

TopPoster

The only thing that counts is that "you" think it's a good deal

Reply to
NissTech

I had the dealer order me one from the factory just how I wanted it for

1% over invoice + $199 minus rebates. 2004 Crew Cab, 4x4 Long Bed w/ power package for $20,900 out the door (including tax and tags).

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

INCLUDING tax/tags?????!!!! Wow. What state/date was this? What was the full config of your Frontier? Auto? A/C? bedliner? sport pkg? etc? Most dealers around me weren't budging below 22+K for that--PRE-tax/tags.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

This included 3% North Carolina Tax and the $199 doc fee and the $2500 rebate. I special ordered it without the sport package (no roof rack, running boards or limited slip) that saved $800. Also, no bedliner - saved $350. But did get the power package ($1000). It is a 5 speed manual. A/C is standard. They are pretty cheap trucks if you get them without all of the typical options that the ones on the lots have. Check the Nissan website and you will see. I got it from Central Carolina Nissan in Sanford, NC. I had to wait 2 1/2 months for it to get built. Ironically, this is only $4000 more than I paid for my '95 Hardbody in '96 w/ 15,000 miles.

I also switched out the stock tires for some 31" Michelins as soon as I bought it. The local tire dealer gave me $200 credit for the stock rubber. The truck looks much better now. I also got a sprayed in bedliner for $400. Without the roof rack and running boards, they ain't bad looking trucks.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

"Rob Munach" wrote in message news:R7c9d.673762$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Yeah, but WITH them, they are outtasight! Esp my Electric Blue! Hadda have it!! I read something about being able to get good deals having the truck built to spec--I guess the dealer doesn't have to finance it keeping it on his lot, so it's basically quick flip-money for them. But I never talked to anyone who actually did it! My tax is 8.5%--man, what a hit on 20Gs! I guess w/ my cupla extras, I didn't do too much worse than you, as I tried to capitalize on end-of-year and end-of-month deals--in general everything is way higher in NY, esp the 5 boros. But I think you got the best deal I've heard of yet.

What were the original tires, and why did you switch? Tires can make the truck look that much better?? My Subaru came w/ michelins, got 90,000 miles on them! A guy in the subaru ng got 110,000 out of his. The Forester people got 20K on their original tires (yokohams or sumpn)! I think my tires are some

*big-assed* goodrichs--wow.... I read recently in a thread that the type of tire one gets can significantly affect gas mileage. Sharp lookin truck indeed. The wife & family really busted my chops for deciding on a pickup, but now they love it! Esp. the wife--I mightta created a monster! I hear people rag the fake wheel-well flares, but I get a kick out them-- cain't be more fake than goddamm reality TV! I'm considering getting the skid plate/bumper guard (altho $350-400 seems kinda steep), and am in the process of making an aluminum plate rigid-type tonneau cover, in 3 slide-in sections. Plus I'll be making very strong stainless tubed bed rails, some nice removable pipe racks, some custom bed extenders, etc. I used to work in a machine shop, and still have shop rights! Still a PITA to make this stuff, tho. A truck place has a full front bumper/grille ditty for $365--not sure how the truck would look with it, tho--altho the simpler Nissan skid plate/bumper guard looks pretty sharp, from what I can see. Accessorizing is like a part-time job! Advantage (I think) makes a fully retractable tonneau cover, like a roll-up store gate. Locking, really nice, but $1100, and not as secure or likely as light as my aluminum plate ditty. Any of these covers are sposed to save gas. But I'm glad I forewent the Nissan soft tonneau cover, as the million snaps is really a PITA--plus no real security, plus not cheap, or all that easy to install, from what I could see. My aluminum ditty, however, will not be totally rain-proof, so I gotta address that somehow, sooner or later. I've heard that the sprayed-in bedliner is a good idea, rust-wise. Just wasn't up to the hassle. Mebbe I'll take my liner out, shmear some roofing tar around, and put the liner back!! In the meantime I'll park inside, or on an incline, to make sure the bed drains!

What's your gas mileage? Mine seems sucky, but don't know how sucky yet, as I'm still experimenting w/ octanes. Fellow in my town w/ a king cab Frontier, reg V6, says he gets an honest 25!!! Wow...

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

To each his own. I think a truck should look like a truck.

Tax is only 3% in NC.

Original were BF Goodrich Long Terrains. The Michelins are 1" larger, will last twice as long and look better because the stock tires just look too small on that truck with a long bed and crew cab.

The factory skid plate/bumper guard seems like a joke. Why bother?

I wouldn't worry about it. I had one in my Hardbody for 9 years without problems.

I find that hard to believe even if it is 2 wheel drive. I have gotten exactly 19.9 MPG on each of my last four tanks in mostly urban driving with soem suburban city driving thrown in. I am expecting about another

1/2 mpg when I switch to synthetic in the engine and drivetrain when it gets broken in. I drive with a pretty light foot and try to anticipate lights and stop signs etc.

Take Care,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach