MB "Long Life Grease"

MB suggests placing a special "Long Life grease" between the dust lip and sealing lip of the front main seal and rear main seal during replacement. I was just wondering if anyone here could suggest a good alternative that was readily available in local parts store.

Thanks

Larry

Reply to
Larry Green

Larry Green ha scritto:

MoS2 based grease with -20 up to +110 Celsius and for small periods +

130 C grease is intended as 'Long life grease'. Molybden-based commercial type examples of approved NLGI2 class:

- Shell Stamina 0233B

- Optimol Olistamoly (Castrol)

- Exceltol Blue E.P.2 (Dolphin Lubricantes de México)

- Mercedes p.n.: 000 989 63 51 or 001 989 88 51

I hope you can find one of these in your country. Bye. Stefano

Reply to
Cordy

Thanks very much Stefano. Interesting thing is that none of the MB techs I later spoke to said they put anything on crank seals, since it didn't seem to make any difference in life-expectancy or sealing ability. And none of the parts guys I spoke to ever ordered the MB grease for their techs or customers. Still, I think i'll put a ring of an MOS2 based CV joint grease on them just to hedge my bets.

Thanks for the detailed info, though.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Green

Maybe that's not needed at all. Which model/engine are we talking of? I just mentioned the kind of approved commercial names of long life greases MB mentions in docs. Maybe there's no need (maybe it's not even a good idea! it could collect particles and dust) to put grease in the position you mention. Let us know exact model and position. Stefano

Larry Green ha scritto:

Reply to
Cordy

The car's a 380sl, but I can't see why that would make any difference, Stefano?

Larry

Reply to
Larry Green

And you're talking of front main seal and rear main seal of... engine? gear box? injection pump? :-) Or what? As mentioned several times in this NG the first 6 digits of the chassis number or at least commercial model name and model year (or manufacturing date) help very much in answering questions. Unfortunately (or luckily?) at MB some models have been manufactured for several years and very big differences but using the same name. To answer your question: it's always difficult to tell if you must (or must not) put grease, if I don't know where... That's why I answered only partly to your question, Larry. Bye. Stefano

Larry Green ha scritto:

Reply to
Cordy