Oil Pump Replacement

I'm replacing the oil-pump chain, sprocket and tensioner rail on a

380sl I'm rebuilding, and I'm debating whether to replace the oil pump, too, even though the existing one still looks and works fine after about 180k miles. On the one hand, I understand that these pumps hardly ever fail, and i've already spent way more than I had anticipated redoing this engine. Otoh, the last thing I need is for the pump to fail after I get everything back together again. So any advice would be appreciated.

If I do decide to replace the pump, I was also wondering whether to go with the OEM version or a much cheaper Febi-Bilstein. So if anyone here has had any experience with the latter, I'd appreciate hearing about that, too.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Travis Barnes

Bearing in mind the hassle and extra expence if it went down after you have assembled your engine i think it would be smart to fit a new one now using a genuine MB pump so you have a decent no argument guarantee

Reply to
Richard Bird

Agreed... change the oil pump. Go with the Febi-Bilstein... this brand is super high quality. Nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks guys. I was leaning that way, but needed a push in the right direction.

I hope your Holiday Season and New Years is joyous.

Travis

Reply to
Travis Barnes

Buy your oil pump from the same source you purchased your other parts as Mercedes-Benz probably won't warrant their pump if you use non-oe parts everywhere else in your rebuild.

Reply to
Les4Parts

Warranty on a self rebult engine? from the early 80's? Are you kidding me?

Reply to
Tiger