Original-ish Cooper 'S' - further info (long post)

Hi again,

I have some more information on the Mini Cooper 'S' my dad is thinking about selling for restoration.

It was originally a 1965 970 Cooper 'S'. In 1967 it had a factory engine replacement (an original green one, not a re-manufactured gold one). The original owner never raced or rallied it. That was to change when my dad acquired it later in 1967.

During the late 60's and early 70's it competed in various rallies and other events including the '68 Gulf London rally and the '69 RAC.

In 1973 it had taken enough punishment, and was re-shelled into a Mk3 body and re-registered as an 'M' reg. The reason (I am told) for building it as a new car was so it could be raced/rallied - Mk1's were no longer homologated. Most of the original mechanicals were transferred from the Mk1 to the Mk3.

However, it never did race again. It was used mainly as a shopping car and maintained throughout the 70's and 80's. It had an engine re-build in the mid 80's, which included a +60 re-bore, and had a new cylinder head soon after.

As I said in my original post, the rust became too bad around the back end, and it was retired and garaged around about 1989. Some work was done on it with a view to getting it back on the road (the front-end bodywork was replaced), but this was done prematurely before extent of the rear end corrosion was discovered.

So...I suppose I should ask my original question again... How much could this car be worth to someone willing to restore it???

As part of my investigation, I have catalogued the spare parts that my dad has for the car. They are listed below. Is there anything in this lot that is particularly rare/valuable??? I noticed a primary gear going on eBay the other day. It was up to 24 quid last time I looked.

I have taken some photos of the vehicle if anyone is interested. Email me at imclaren(at)techie(dot)com if you want to see them.

Thanks again,

Iain

Parts list (new unless specified)

A Air control valve kit (part used, new seals)

B Ball joints, suspension x2 Ball joint, suspension (used) Brake cylinder repair kit Brake calliper repair kit x2 Brake springs, 2 sets (used) Brake calliper x2 (used) - removed from vehicle Brake servo repair kit (diaphragm only) Brake limiter valve, rear (used) Brake cylinder, rear (used) Brake pads, Mintex Cooper 'S' Brake pads, Lockheed Bumpers, chrome x2 Brake piston (used) x4 Brake oil seal set (used) Brake operators, rear (used) x2 Brush set Bearing, wheel Bearings, many miscellaneous new and used Bonnet catch (used)

C Chassis Number for 1974 registration Crankshaft pulley (used) CV joint (used) Carburettor needles, misc used Camshaft, original 510 'S' (used) CV joint clip and grease CV joint clips small x2 Camshaft (model unknown)

D Distributor cap x2

E Exhaust manifold (original 'S', broken) Engine number plate

F Front suspension knuckle cracker (used) Fog lamps (Cibié) x3

G Grille (used) Gear, primary (used) Gear, idler (used) x2 Gaskets, many misc used incl. rocker cover Gearbox selector fork 1st/2nd Gearbox selector fork 3rd/4th

H Hinge panel, left Homologation Recognition Form

I Ignition coil (used)

L Lamp bar (for front fogs) Log book for 1965 registration

O Oil seals (misc) inc clutch, hub Oil pipe pump-filter, used Oil pump (used) x2 Oil seals, rear hub Oil filter

P Petrol pump, electric (used) x2 Pedal shaft Performance Tuning magazine, 1972

R Rear suspension reaming tool (used) Regulators (used) x2 Regulator Rocker shaft Radiator pressure cap (used)

S Sump guard, steel (used) Shock absorber buffers x4 Synchro hubs (used) x4 Suspension shims, assorted (used) Solenoid, starter motor Steering arm, L/hand

T Timing chain, Simplex (Not 'S') x2 Trim, ext. front roof-wheel arch (used)

V Valance, rear V5 document for 1974 registration

W Workshop manual (used) Wheels, reverse 'S' on car x4 +1 off car (used) Wheels, standard 'S' (used) x6 Wheels, standard Mini (used) x2

Reply to
Iain McLaren