MYSTERY NOISE REAR OF CAR

I have a 1980 240d and I am trying to figure out a noise that is coming from the rear of the car. It happens after I have been on the highway for an hour or so and sounds like a rubbing or minor grinding. When I stop for a few minutes I can proceed for another 50k or so and the noise comes back. Its like something is out of balance.

Help..

Reply to
mac

Is it worse with two adults in the back (halfshafts).

Wheel bearing?

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Could well be half shafts then. With the wheel off and car in the air you should be able to rotate in a large circle. You'llhear all sorts of awful noises and feel it click and stuff if the halfshafts bad.

They're not terribly pricy and not awful to replace.

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

I don't remember. I know it wasn't too bad for a rebuilt halfshaft and labour wasn't too terrible at all either. Call

800 741 5252 and order one. Tell them I sent you. Ask for Gary.
Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work