New Owner Question

I just bought a 1983 240D from a family member and know nothing of diesel engines and their are. Can anyone suggest a book or two to help me maintain this beauty for the next 287000 miles? Also wonder if anyone would suggest a regular maint. schedule I can do? Thanks

Reply to
Steven Mercer

Change oil and filter 3,000 miles; adjust valves 12,000 miles. Replace fuel filters annually and keep a spare set on board (filters can stay clean for ten years and one bad fillup fouls them). Air filter as needed (appearance).

A reasonable choice of literature might be a Haynes manual available online or at parts stores.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

New Owner Question Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Sat, Nov 1, 2003, 8:58am (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@wintersnet.net.net (Steven=A0Mercer) I just bought a 1983 240D from a family member and know nothing of diesel engines and their are. Can anyone suggest a book or two to help me maintain this beauty for the next 287000 miles? Also wonder if anyone would suggest a regular maint. schedule I can do? Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx try to get an owners manual for it it will only be about 3 pages long then you will under stand some of the knobs & buttons are for. also how to put the hood WAY UP so you can look at the stuff close to the fire wall with out knocking your self out

case

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
IF YOU CAN'T SWIM DON'T JUMP IN