Rover turbo problem

Hi,

We have a Rover 45 1.9 turbo diesel Y reg, bought 2nd hand. It has never performed as well as other turbo diesels I have previously owned and nohwhere near as well as my current Ford Escort 1.8TD. When the accellerator is depressed I can feel myself pushed back into the seat in the Escort but in the Rover nothing much happens. It is very fast but reluctant to accellerate rapidly as one expects with a turbo. In addition, I have to keep changing gear to maintain accelleration. In short, it appears to behave like a non-turbo diesel engine.

I suspect that the turbo is not functioning and wonder how I might test my theory? Can anyone help please?

Reply to
compo

A split pipe is common, if yours has the big plastic cover on top then get that off and look at the engine end of the pipe. First inspect the pipes. if all in order then remove the end that leads to the engine, with the engine running get an assistant to rev the engine a bit, with your hand you should be able to feel a good breeze coming from the pipe.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from compo contains these words:

Some turbo-diesels are like that. My Montego TD is actually slower off the mark than the non-turbo Maestro that preceeded it. Very high geared and as you say needs a lot of stirring to get it to go. Great on the motorway though - cruises along at high speed without apparent effort.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from compo contains these words:

Thanks for the replies. Will try the pipe ASAP

Reply to
Paul Simonite