oil pressure guage on 300sdl

After replacing the sending unit for my oil pressure guage, it still reads max pressure when I turn the ignition on. Any thoughts? Does this point to a faulty guage in my dash?

Thanks!

Reply to
Earnest

Mmm... have you tried changing your oil filter to see if that is the problem?

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger i think he is saying with just the key on on it pegs out .

sounds to me its grounding out some where.

trace the wire as far back as you can

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Are you saying you start the car? Or just put the ignition in the running position?

If you are starting the car then it being pegged is normal and correct.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

it is not normal.

it should stay at 0 bar when motor is off key on. once started it will go to 3 bar once warmed up at idle will stay around 1.0 to 1.5 bar depending on the oil used. if it always reads 3 then how would you know if you blew a turbo or cooler line?????

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Why make this difficult. Disconnect the wire from the transmitter at the transmitter. If the pressure gauge than goes to max you have a short in the wiring. If the gauge returns to zero with the key on than the transmitter is faulty. Trouble shooting is that simple.

Tom

Reply to
TOM ASH

I just now went out to my 1987 300TD to check just how the OP gauge works. With the key off the guage reads 0, with the key on but engine not started the gauge read 3. The gauge works perfectly. I didn't get under the hood to disconnect a wire 'cause it's 1 am, but I suspect that with the key on engine off the guage is going to read 3 whether or not that wire is connected.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

"Chas Hurst" skrev i en meddelelse news:xeqdncngXeHrOy snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

yes. normal.

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

on the 2 SDs & the one 240 i have owned they have never read 3 bar with the motor off & key on.

could be wrong but i my self like it to rise to 3 bar once the starter is released & motor running.

beats a rebuild or wallking

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

"pool man" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3116.bay.webtv.net...

sorry. I was wrong. I have checked and mine also stays at 0 when key on and engine off. goes to 3 when engine on and drop to aprox 2 on idle.

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

Anybody found the solution to this problem yet. I'm still waiting for the answers from the MB gurus.

Reply to
dkmcp

This isn't a problem that requires "gurus" It's a very simple system. unhooking the wire from the sender and grounding it should make the gauge go up and unhooking it should make the gauge go down.

If that doesn't work, then the wire is either pinched to ground somewhere, or the gauge itself is toast.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph