Pagoda Glove Compartment Door Lens

I've noticed that the 230/250/280SL has a small glass lens set into its glove compartment door, off to one side. What is that thing? It resembles a sight glass that allows one to peer into the glove compartment without actually opening it. (I know it isn't, but that's what it looks like.)

Geoff

Reply to
Ralph Baksheesh

Map light/lens

Reply to
AJDalton7

AJDalton7 reveals:

A map light that shines straight back onto the passenger-side seatback (or onto the passenger's chest)? What will those wacky Chermans think of next?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

A Map light that is used when the glove box door is in the open position ... you look through the magnifier lens from the Top, which is there to aid you in reading the Fine print/detail of the Map which is held below the open door.... Simple..

Reply to
AJDalton7

snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net (Geoff Miller) haute in die Tasten:

Mercedes R107 (and my BMW E30) have a plug for a tiny, rechargeable flashlight in the glovebox. That is next.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper