Door reflectors

Has anybody had trouble with the little clear reflectors on the inside of the doors? On my '03 S the reflector came apart (the face piece fell off) in the first 1000 miles. I waited for the first oil service o have it replaced. Reflector #2 lasted about 150 miles then did the same thing.

I'm not worried, because my local dealer (San Francisco) has been really great on warranty stuff. While the car was in for the oil service I pointed out to the service writer that a seam in the (cloth) seat was a little out of line and had been since day one. He called over some other guy who glanced at it and said "Order a seat cover." Two days later I sat in the car with a screwdriver in my pocket and ripped a fair hole in the seat. When the new cover came in, they called me and had the driver's seat reupholstered. They also gave me taxi vouchers so I could spend the afternoon at the SF Int'l Car Show. They didn't say a word about the big hole in the seat.

Anyway, those are the only things I've had to work on (not counting the add-ons like Moss Motors driving and fog lights). Are these little reflectors a known problem in this group or is my car .0001% lemon?

Reply to
Marchant, Jon A.

Hi, Jon!

My '03 S was also purchased in the Bay Area (MINI of Concord.) I too, had the small circular reflector lens on the driver side fall off -- once. I now check both of them every now and then (-mostly when hand drying the door jams after washing the car,) making sure that they are turned tightly onto their mountings. Hasn't been a problem otherwise and haven't noticed any tendencies to coming loose between times checking. I suspect that it might have been caused by the shoulder or sleeve of a leather jacket catching the surface of the lens and rotating it in such a way as to unscrew it from its mount.

I've yet to bring mine in for service but I have notified them that the sunroof sunshade screen has come loose, slightly sags to one side and has been that way since last summer. The dealer has said that it should be covered under the warranty, so we'll see how willing they are to take care of what is a relatively minor detail.

- S

Reply to
S. W. Chan

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:09:53 GMT, S. W. Chan sez:

Sounds like a different problem. I didn't even know they screwed in. Mine loses the outer layer and leaves part attached to the car. I begin to suspect that SF Mini didn't replace the reflector at the service but just tried to snap it back together or something. I'll try unscrewing it and see if I can figure out what's supposed to hold it together.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Marchant, Jon A.

I respect the inquisitive mind ... If you are not already some kind of technician then you should consider becoming one. :)

Blues

Reply to
Blues_Jam