Power Steering Fluid

Since owners manual suggests "use only MB steering fluid" would like to know what available product to use for '96 SL500?

Reply to
MOJO80

Go down (or up) ... er ... (or over) ... (or around) ... ah ... whatever. Go to the nearest ... (or maybe one a bit further away) ... um ... well just go to an MB stealership and go into the parts department and ask for some steering fluid for a 96 SL500. They will give you some after you give them some money or a credit card or a check or a money order or a 1st or 2nd mortgage on your house or ... Then just take it and add it to your steering thingy that is under the hood of the car. The hood is that part on the front of the car that your MB star rests on and it has little cracks around it (the hood has little cracks around it, hopefully not the star). The hood has a hood release in the cabin that has to be pulled. Then you go to the front of the kar and look for a little gray thingy sticking out of the grill and pull on it. (If you hear a loud braaaaap and smell a strange odor after pulling on either of these previously described devices, you may have pulled the wrong thing). (If you have pulled the wrong thing you may want to wait for a while to allow the odor to dissapate). (Of course you may wish to go dissapate a bit yourself at this point). So having pulled on the little gray plastic thingy sticking out of your grill - be carefull !!!! Do not break it!!!! - the hood will open if you lift it. Oops!!! You also have to hold the little gray thingy out while lifting the hood. And then there is the latch that you have to reach under and release for the hood to open all the way up. Well at this point, I would just give it up and drive the thing into the garage area of the stealership and ask them to install the steering fluid. Of course since I have a big ole S Klass wif them gud ole boyz partyin on in tha bak seat, I culd jest krawl inta tha bak and party on whilst them wrenches is installin the fluid. Not sure what you could do to pass the time without a big back seat - perhaps go to the waiting lounge and poll the people there to see how many would go hunting with Dick Cheney vs how many would go for a ride with Ted Kennedy. Boy this sure does get complicated! Hope you have some good luck and get the fluid in before the steering gear thingy runs dry!

mcbrue unequivicatingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Awesome post. I'm going to the river now and look you up. I'll bring the beer. German beer, of course.

Reply to
wolfpuppy