Problem with 190 clutch (maybe..)

Hi everyone. I've a 1990 MB 190, with gasoline carburetor engine, 2000 cc, european model, manual gear, 140.000 Km. I've been experiencing a strange "shake" everytime I release the clutch, and the car start to move. I don't understand if it's a clutch problem, or something else. I've bought the car used, but I'm not shure I've made a great deal with it. Another problem is the final muffler, I've changed it with a not original spare part, and now I'm experiencing a real bad noise from the exhaust system, a kind of low frequency vibration, really disturbing. Thanks in advance for your answers, and excuse me for my bad english (I'm writing from Italy).

Stef

Reply to
Stef

Your english is better than some of the english speakers here.

The clutch in your car is "chattering." That means it begins to transmit power to the transmission but then suddenly releases. It may have weak springs or have some oil on its friction surfaces. The only way to fix it is to replace it but I would try to drive it for a month or two - it may improve but that's not very likely. This delayed repair, plus the muffler, is probably why the car was sold.

Suggest you check the muffler's installation. Are its clamps tight? Is it in the correct position? Buying non-original parts isn't always a bargain, as you now see.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach