problem with curise control

Since fitting new front break pads to my 1996 e230s I'm finding that my cruise control is intermittently working. Some times it wont go on and sometimes it switches it self off.

I have found that it always works ( for a short time ) after heavy breaking.

I think that the problem is that it thinks that the breaks are on. It's almost like I need to adjust some sensor somewhere.

Anyone got any ideas?

Reply to
henry cat

I had a similar issue on a '95E320 - the cruis control would fail intermittently, esp. after using the brakes. The dealership replaced everything (wiring harness, cruise module, etc.) over a course of two months. Nothing helped. Finally a guy pulled up behind me at a stop light and said "hey, your brake lights aren't working." Turns out that the $35 brake light switch (above the brake pedal) was the culprit.

Reply to
Josh

Yep, I'd try that brake switch too.

Reply to
Tiger

For my education, how would a brake light be connected to the cruise control system?

thx. DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

When you press the brakes, the cruise control is deactivated. If there is a short in the switch, the cruise control cannot activate.

Reply to
Josh

"Josh" wrote

Expanding a bit......the CC engagement circuit gets its "ground" through the brake light filaments...they being of a fairly low resistance. This being of course when there is no +12v being applied to the non-grounded side of the filament by the brake pedal. With the brake pedal depressed, +12v is now applied to both the brake light bulb AND...the formerly grounded CC. This action causes the CC to dis-engage. If the brake pedal switch slips in its mount, the brake lights will remain on at all times and the CC will not engage.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Moore

Because the moment you step on the brake, it shut off your cruise control.

Reply to
Tiger

Bob Moore wrote

I should have added that if BOTH brake light bulbs are burned-out, the CC will not engage either.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Moore

Osram or Bosch taillight bulbs should be used to preserve the circuit as well. "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, drink in one hand, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

29 09.56N 082 10.13W
Reply to
Jack Archambault

Thanks Tiger, Josh & Bob Moore. I had completely forgotten about the CC shut-down on touching the brake.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I think I have found the probelm .. when I took the wheel off to change the pads I may have damaged the wheels balance somehow. Anyway.. I was getting some vibration through the steering wheel so I got the wheel re balanced. Since doing this the probelm seems to have gone away. It could be that as the brake switch would have been picking up the vibration from the steering coloum it is a bit over senstive and switching off the curise.

Not sure if this is the real soultion but .. so far since having the wheels re balanced its working ok.

thanks for all the replys

Reply to
henry