I am bringing in my new (4/2004) E500 for my first non scheduled service. I
would be grateful for any feedback on the issues at hand. Am I nitpicking?
1) I am getting some groaning noise from the steering when the engine is
cold (goes away after 2-3 minutes of driving). I suspect the steering pump
or gearbox. In my previous Mercedes it would take 5-years for the steering
system to start making noise. Also, on occasion when warm, I notice a very
slight lack of smoothness (vibration) at low speeds near center. The lack
of smoothness is in the motion and is not road feedback.
2) My air suspension is quite often making muted crunching noises, is this
3) The lighting in the drivers footwell went out after one month.
4) I am going to have my car inspected in reference to the Sensotronic Brake
recall. I know that the recall is for sudden loss of braking but did they
come out with a software update to improve pedal modulation? BTW, Who at MB
signed off on a system which subjects the owner to that constant noise the
master cylinder makes when boosting brake pressure?
5) On hot Southern California days, my engine fan will run at an extremely
high RPM for a few minutes after starting. It is so loud that people 20
feet away might have a hard time keeping a conversation going - unless of
course they are discussing the merits of not owning a Mercedes.
6) My engine at times sounds a bit like a sewing machine at low RPM's in the
city - other times it sounds great. My previous 3.2 V6 always sounded good.
I would be grateful for any advise.
Click to see the full signature.