Re: Falshing fuel light on 1997 E420

I had this happen also and it stopped after the dealer replaced my evaporation cannister.

Dear Mercedes List, > > > In February of this year I became the proud owner of a 1997 E420 > > Mercedes. What can I say? A very smooth, powerful, and beautiful > > car. > > > Today, while driving, the fuel light came on and it was flashing, EVEN > > though the car had an almost full gas tank. The flashing light came > > on a few times before, but every time it did in the past, the fuel > > tank was closer to empty (even though I still had at least 5 more > > gallons) and so I ignored it. Today it was different and it makes me > > wonder what could be the problem: fuel filter? air intake? Has anyone > > experienced this before? The car's manual only says the light comes > > on (not flashing) when the tank has less than 2.6 gal., which was > > clearly not the case today. > > > Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated. > > > Sincerely yours, > > Darian Muresan (darian at dmmd dot net) > > > 1997 E420 > > 1967 240D > > > >
Reply to
CHRIS OSTLING

Perky Smiles

A flashing Low Fuel Indicator means there is a massive air leak in the emissions system. It can be caused by a loose fuel filler cap, or a bad purge valve, a bad charcoal cannister, a bad fuel pressure sensor, or a loose hose somewhere.

Note that adding more fuel after the nozzle has clicked off while fueling, to round to an even number, or to otherwise top off the gas tank, ruins the charcoal cannister, which in turn can result in the low fuel indicator lamp flashing.

Reply to
Rugbyguy