Regulator

hi got an '88 230TE with electrical problems...current (haha) suspect is the Voltage regulator/brushes, anyone know the specs for brush length/wear and is there a test for the regulator?

The brushes project about 10-11 mm (from holder body to curve in brushes)

Part No. is 1197 311 008 EL 14V 4C . anyone know if this is the current part number, or has it been updated?

cheers

Reply to
news

Yeah if it's the original part from 88 it needs replacing :-)

You can bolt on a new regulator or just replace the carbon bruches in the old one. I was able to do it from under the car without jacking it up and took pics:

The brushes cost me $1 and it took about half an hour to repair the whole thing about 3-4 years ago and it's been fine ever since.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

yeah cheers for that m8, I did actually find that article meself (good one btw) but I was wondering what the actual spec for brush wear is, are both the brushes in the pic 'oldnebr.jpg' used or is it new and old side by side? Mine appear the same as the longer one of the two. Also, the green resistor(?) visible in 'brushes3.jpg' appears to be toasted in mine, its not shiny like the pic more like verdigris, but it doesn't scrape off.

Got it easy with the removal on mine though, I can get the regulator off from above!

Reply to
news

Well, given the regulator is lke $18 or something it may be time to spring for a new one.

I dunno what the spec is for brushes but they're over an inch long when new and you can see in oldnebr.jpg that the ones there are short enough to cause mine not to work.

I think it's a diode not a resister and that may be the source of your problem.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

cheers mate nice one so the brushes are terminal as well..if that is a diode that's explains a lot.. hmmm wonder if the diode is replaceable, if I can source some brushes separate and get that diode in- instant cheap spare! The reg is already on order, though naturally in 'rip off Britain' its more like £25 plus tax than $20...

cheers again

Reply to
news

Twenty five quid? Jay-sus. Isn't there a cheap mail order place there?

I got brushes at a starter/alternator place. They didn't even ask what car, if you say "BOSCH" there's apparantly only one kind.

Cheers,

Reply to
Richard Sexton

hi got one for £20 with a bit of scratching around - better, but the alternator is still not kicking enough juice out with everything on so I guess its replace the alternator time, I'm pretty sure mine is 55A - will it do any harm/ is it possible to uprate to a 70A alternator? cheers

Reply to
news

Yeah it's been done. There's a BOSCH part on some VW that's double the MB one. Go figure...

Reply to
Richard Sexton

good one mate, I'll start looking cheers again for the assist

Reply to
news