Roll backward on incline automatic

I have a automatic 99 E320. I've noticed that at hills(inclines) (somewhat steep, but nothing out of the norm) the car will roll backward when it's in drive if my foot isn't on the brake. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Reply to
DK

marlinspike

My 2001 CLK Cab rolls back; very disconcerting at first, as my 1993 190E doesn't.

I have been wondering about that rollback, but you're saying it's normal these days.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

My E240 rolls back on inclines, too. My Audi A6 didn't move an inch backward, though.

WÇY

Reply to
WÇY

Which models of MB come with a handbrake?

Reply to
sdp1s

My old W123 (RHD) had one.

Reply to
Lee Wei Shun

RHD model, right?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

That's what I wrote, right?

WS

Reply to
Lee Wei Shun

I use the drive-off assistant. Just give the pedal a little extra kick until the cluster says "SBC HOLD" and it's engaged. The 2004 S211 Estate with brake-by-wire has it (as well as the next generation M-Class and GST). Won't roll back and drives off normally on inclines.

That's one feature I miss when changing back to older cars. When rolling back I find myself pressing the pedal with this little extra kick, and it wont "take".

Wolfgang

Reply to
wolfgang