IS 200 Gearbox Problem(?)

Hello,

I've just bought an 2001 plate IS200 Sport. I've noticed that when changing from 1st to 2nd gear and occasionally from 2nd to 3rd it seems to go with a "thump". Everything else seems normal apart from this. I was wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has experienced this problem. My car still has 1 year remaining on the warranty so hopefully IF theres a problem I'll be able to get is sorted.

Thanks for any advice.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

It's a design fault, i noticed the same problem with my is200 and spoke to the dealership who told me about the fault.

I don't think its gonna cause any real problems

ironfist

Reply to
Ironfist

The IS300 does it too. I think it's caused by the synchronizers suddenly matching the input/output shaft speeds and causing some free lash in the drive line to be taken up. It's apparently normal and will not lead to a problem. I just shift a little slower and give the synchros a bit more time to do their job. That seems to avoid most of the "thump".

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand