software update for APS-30 navigation

I have APS-30 navigation in my car. I would like to know the following: What is latest software version? Does this include TMC for France? Have MB put back automatic memorisation of "last 50" destinations (in Becker TRrafficPro, on which APS-30 is based, but MB stupidly cut this down to automatic memorisation of only last SINGLE destination). I have tried ringing local dealer (useless - told me to ring MB customer services). So I ring MB customer services - they didn't even know what teh APS-30 was and thought I was talking about COMAND, then after a lot of explaining to them the difference, they gave me the number of Navtech who maake the cartography! Totally useless. I have looked on the website - also no information at all.

Can anybody on here help, or at least suggest where in the MB organisation I could find this info?

Next car I will get another Becker TrafficPro - brilliant nav system with fantastic customer service!

Reply to
Ric

Latest is ver. 6.0 for Europe:

France is included, but not Norway and Finland... So for me, living in Norway, my navigation equipment is worthless. They cant even tell when and if there is coming a new version and if it will contain Norway.

-- Thomas.

Reply to
thomas kaarud

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately all those sellers will only ship to Germany...

I think the Becker TrafficPro now has Norway in it, so maybe MB will eventually put it in the APs 30. But don't count on finding anybody who can give you an answer!! I definitely won't buy another Mercedes navigation system. Their customer support is terrible. Try finding info about capability of new DVD system - zilch! Much better to buy an aftermarket nav system as the customer support is so much better.

Reply to
Ric

Most of them will ship out of Germany as well, just contact them in advance.

Yes, TrafficPro has got Norway covered, but those CD's use the TeleAtlas map-database. The CD's for MB Audio 30/50 use NavTech-data. Dont ask me why!!!!

I have tried to contact all instances, they all send me off to the next one, it goes something like this:

Navtech: We dont influence the customers choice of coverage, they just use our database, talk to Becker. TeleAtlas: We dont influence the customers choice of coverage, they just use our database, talk to Becker.

Becker: We dont influence the customers choice of coverage, talk to DaimlerChrysler.

DaimlerChrysler: We dont influence the map-coverage, talk to the map-people.

I totally agree, the customer-service is bad, bad, bad!

But - on the bright side, TeleAtlas have announced that they will launch a CD that is compatible with the Audio 30 APS on their on behalf, but no information on the coverage - just have to hope that they include Norway as they have Norway in their other CD's for Becker equipment.

I find it a little strange that the Audio 30 APS and the TrafficPro is not compatible.... it is infact the same equipment (from Becker), maybe a change of BIOS would take care of the lock that DaimlerChrysler has put on their equipment?

-- Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Kaarud

Exactly my experience too.

I don't think they are compatible because the control interface is totally different. The BeckerTrafficPro has different knobs and buttons and is far easier to use. For example on Becker there is button for "radio", "CD", "Nav" so it is very easy to switch between modes. On APS-30, you have to take eyes off road for and page throught the "mode" button to find the mode you are looking for - very dangerous! Also, the Becker automatically memorises the last fifty destinations which is very useful. On MB, they have cut this down to only last single destination - totally barmy. Why do lots of extra programming to degrade an excellent and useful feature!!!

Reply to
Ric

I just got this mail a few minutes ago:

Dear Mr. Kaarud,

thank you for your inquiry. A new software version 7.0 for the Audio 30 APS is in treatment. We don't know when this software will be available and if map data of Norway and Finland will be included. Please ask your DaimlerChrysler-dealer or contact the Customer Care Center Mercedes:

00800-17 777 777.

Yours faithfully

Elke Dietz

HARMAN / BECKER AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS GmbH

What? Is there different versions then? On my Audio 30 APS I have separate buttons for NAV and Audio. To switch between radio and CD I have to browse the Audio button though but I don have to take eyes of traffic, it only switch between radio and cd.... Also, on the inside my unit has a label: Becker BE4705.

I am very tempted to get hold of a defect TrafficPro (BE4720) and switch BIOS, does anyone have a defect unit they can sacrify?

-- Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Kaarud

Could you post her email address? I would like to ask some questions and make some suggestions too. If you don't want to post it on usenet, please send it to snipped-for-privacy@hotmailOFF.com Thanks!