Thinking of buying an SLK230

Hiya

I am thinking of swapping my current car a 01 Toyota MR2 Roadster for a 98/99 SLK and was just wondering if someone could tell me the difference bewtween the 200 and 230? I have seen ones with about

40,000 miles for £14,000 woudl you say this is a good price? Having never owned a merc I was wondering how reliable they are as my Toyota has never let me down once.

Also as far as servicing goes how much woudl i except the slk to be?

If anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it. thanks alot.

oh and also are they all automatic? thanks

caz

Reply to
Caz B

In message , Caz B writes

I moved from very reliable and satisfactory Honda CRX's to my first SLK

230 Kompressor, 5 and a half years ago.

I am delighted with: Service costs being far less than the Honda, especially with the [then]

6 month / 6000 miles intervals for Honda, compared with 11,000 intervals for my SLK Strength and durability of leather seats, trim and fittings. It all looks so good after 82,000 miles and fit for another ????? miles. Auto gearbox, steering and brakes are superb and make for a really relaxing car for touring and eating up motorway miles. Seats are firm but very deep and comfortable for my 6'3" height The whole car feels very strong and robust, with very little scuttle shake. A very reassuring car to travel in. Tyres are quite cheap for such a car. £320 a set Parts are 'reasonable' compared with some frightening Japanese part costs

Gripes are: a slightly rough engine, but plenty of power for my needs. Many bulbs have failed, including headlamps, tail lamps and dashboard. Although my car has never let me down, they are not as well built as Japanese cars, in terms of clinical engineering. I have had a few bits fall off inside and out, [the bonnet/hood catch was ungreased and ceased up] yet I am sure the car will last many years more than Japanese thanks to super quality raw materials and more thought on durability as opposed to efficient reliability of japanese components. [Am I contradicting myself?] One brake sensor failed, causing the loss of abs and cruise, yet this is against over 80k miles of motoring

Overall, I will always speak well of my 2 Hondas, but I have my name down for the next SLK due out in 2004, and cannot wait.

Owen

Reply to
Owen Jones

Thanks Owen, thats a great help.

Reply to
Caz B

Hi Caz,

I own a 99 SLK200. And my recommendation: Keep your Toyota! Okay - perhaps it's a question of prestige. But: With my SLK I only have problems!! The quality is quite poor. Here two of round about ten problems:

With the engine now after 50.000 km a special guiding bearing is now the second time broken. The repair is 1.300 Euro each!

It's impossible to park the car for longer than one week because then the battery (a new one) is empty (electronic problem).

The second problem after the poor quality is the poor service. After changing the obove mentioned bearing the car had a lot of scratches and the service team forgot to fill in oil!!! (no joke!!!). So, my recommendation again: keep your hands away from a mercedes younger than 10 years! (Or buy my one ;-) Last week I had a test drive with the new MR2. That's a quality mercedes is far away from. (But now space for luggage in the MR2 :-(.

Best regards from Stuttgart/germany

manfred

Reply to
Manfred Weber