Tires

The Michelin Pilot Primacy's Y rated are in need of replacement. The pilot Primacy has apparently been superseded. These things are not cheap so I am considering Yokohama with a 40,000 mi warranty etc or other brand. That's a over twice what we got this set. Concerns are compatibility with the Michelin Pilot Primacys on front, traction, and ride quality when there is a few miles on them. Anybody got any experience or recommendations?

Reply to
nada

michelin pilot exalto AS.

I've put these on lexus ls400 and bmw 5 series.

Just amazing. Handle great in wet AND dry. Also very smooth and quiet.

Reply to
pheonix1t

They aren't sticky enough and are not rated over 150 mph.

Reply to
nada

Look at tirerack.com and look at the survey for quidance. I hate Michelin tires.

Reply to
Tiger

What about Goodyear F 500

Reply to
nada

Why (do you hate Michelins)?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

what?? get real. unless you're running a race car (you should be running track tires, not street tires) what possible reason do you have for

150mph tires (or more)? how often do you run 150mph in usa on streets?

If this is europe, then fine - get v or z-rated tires. In usa v and z rated tires (for street use) are more of a gimmick.

Otherwise this sounds very immature or completely unrealistic.

I've had street and track cars. On the street I like smooth and comfortable. If I wanted to feel every twig and pebble I'd stay on the track!!! track roads are cleaner, safer, better maintained and MADE TO RUN FAST! This is NOT the case with public streets.

Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t

You want what was spec'd for the car. I don't want to be all over the road or off the curve because of compromised traction or a rough ride when the tire wear some. I'm not picky. The best will do. I bet that was you that passed me at triple velocity too.

Reply to
nada

My 1982 300 TDT requires "H" rated speed radials, that's 140 mph. I also do not like Michelin tires. I have purchased several that were not round and would not ride correctly. Yes they have a warranty, but what a nuisance! I have some unheard of Asian sounding brand of tires on my car now that I bought from the Tire Rack. They were less than half the price of the Michelins, and have been lasting and lasting. They ride smooth and are quiet.

Reply to
Paul Fretheim

for good cheap tires from tirerack (that's also where I get tires from) I'hve had great results with Kuhmo and Yokohamas. I have no idea why you talk bad about michelins - that is very odd. They are the best tire I've ever experienced on a luxury/sports car. No other tire can blend high performance with a smooth/quiet ride.

My friends MB 500sl came with good year f1 tires. they were very stiff and barely made it to 20k miles!! I showed him my BMW 5 series with michelin pilot exalto A/S and he was amazed. The ride quality from the BMW was better than the MB (less road noise, smoother) He put the same tires on his MB and it was a complete transformation. He's very happy now. They cost about the same as the f1 tires but last at least to 40k miles! The BMW can outhandle any MB with v or z rated tires!! I had it to 140mph for a few seconds - this after a few years of driving. That's what I mean by in USA v and z rated are gimmicks. Even on bmw track days it didn't get past 120mph.

Most of the time high performance tires are very stiff (good year f-1). Not good for luxury cars. Also, Michelins (unlike other brands) usually last longer than they should - especially on trucks! A client has a fleet of trucks (big and pickups) with only michelins. They usually last double what they should (50k tire goes to 100k). Yes, they cost more than other brands - but they last more too. At the end of the year you pay more for other brands of tires that don't last as long.

Reply to
pheonix1t

Apparently you've bought into a lot of marketing hype. No one tire manufacturer has a lock on the best blend of high performance and ride. I had Michelin MXV's on my MB and they had the worst wet traction performance I have ever seen, plus they didn't do anything in the handling, ride or longevity category that was superior to many other tires. And most of those other tires cost less.

I have to agree with Pheonix. Your need for a speed rating of 186MPH would make sense if you were driving on the autobahn or a track. But for driving in the USA, I would not have the extreme reqt for 186MPH determining my choice of tires.

Reply to
trader4

They are overpriced... hard riding... mediocre traction... mediocre sound level... overall average tire. Their super high end tires do have merit but still way overpriced.

Reply to
Tiger

Look at the survey and people feedback... they are far more important that I can say. I don't have experience with Goodyear tires except back in early

80's.
Reply to
Tiger

I haven't bought into anything - this is all from experience. Also, different model michelins give different performance. The pilot exalto a/s is a far superior tire to the MXVs.

I did my research on consumer reports, tirerack and from speaking to lots of people who drive for a living! the client site I mentioned is a big auto parts distributor. They have fleets of trucks!! about 20 sales people in the field with company cars - these same people have been employed for many years with many miles of driving.

They been through just about every brand of tire available in USA. from cheap to high-end.

Final point - price of good year f1 is similar to michelin pilot exalto a/s. Michelin is a superior tire for luxury cars. better treadwear rating, quieter, smoother ride. good years wear out in about 20k or less if driven hard. good year f1 is also very stiff ....

I'm using exact models and brands with similar price bracket.

By doing my research I found ALL tire brands have crappy model tires - even michelin!! they have several model tires that are crappy. pilot exalto a/s is NOT a crappy model.

Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t

How I shop for tire is quite easy... using Tirerack survery, this depends on what category you are looking for... like Ultra Summer Performance. I go to that section and look at the ratings... it is kinda tricky to get to that section... and look at the top 10 and look at how many miles reported...

Then I compare prices and threadwear... lastly the quietness and then that is it.

Here is the link to all survey... Exalto is under Ultra High Performance All Season.

All season? Yuck. I'd probably would buy Nokian All season instead.

Reply to
Tiger

Usually they tune the car to the tire they select or did at one time. Why risk mega buck on a tire that might be as good as..... I tired different tires on cars that came with the old standards back then. Sometimes the results were too interesting. That's why I asked Mercedes Owners. I don't plan on driving excessively fast. I don't want to turn a silk purse into a cows ear though by putting on a tire lesser than the auto design. I'm not too thrilled with having to change tires at 15,000 miles though. It seems most people that buy these cars may not drive 5,000 miles in a year or even 5 years. I drive it every time I can get behind the wheel.

Reply to
nada

Well, I am glad you don't get behind the wheel and just sit there stationery....

:-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Hic! Whoops! Thar them ole boyz in tha bak is agin - in tha kar but iz not a drivin an them has got raight gud Michelobian tars on them kar!!!! Now who did ya say iz not drivin their kars when them iz a setting in er either?

mcbrue peering thru tha kudzu ...

Reply to
mcbrue

Long time McBrue... glad to hear you are still kicking your tires.

As for nada, gee... such a generalization and simple minded statement. If you need a pant, then all you need is to go to Walmart and get a pair of pant there... no need for brand name... after all, they simply cover your bottom half.

Car manufacturer designed with the best thing? Since when did that happen?

Reply to
Tiger

Evidently you drive a Cheby.

Reply to