Time for New Tires on the NC. Ideas?

Well, the second set of Michelins on the '06 Sport has come to the end of its useful life at less than 28K miles. Obviously pretty bad tread life. It seems providential that the government wants to give me $600 so that I will feel stimulated. A free new set of tires would be stimulating enough so that is what I intend to spend it on. I've been considering trying a set of Eagle F1 All Season tires this time. They are $114 each at TireRack.com and there is a $50 rebate per set going on. Any clues as to how well these tires are likely to work? Stock size, stock wheels, fairly energetic driving. on paper the specs seem good but you know how that usually goes...

Reply to
John McGaw

My 2005NC has 25,000k and the Pilots are only half worn. Thing is, I'm very happy with their performance and quiet ride. I'll, like you need some serious thought to a tyre that will do as good a job.

BTW are you using std wheel alignment or someting more agressive?

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Everything about the suspension and alignment are as-delivered. Hard to believe that anyone could get 25,000k from a set of Pilots with so little wear. My first set were truly worn to the point of danger at around 22,000k (14,000 miles). And I rotated them at no more than 5,000 mile intervals as recommended. Second set is at that point now. But, as I wrote, my driving style is "energetic" and every curve and ramp is seen as a challenge.

Reply to
John McGaw

I just looked again...maybe 2/3 worn.

My setup is not standard, I use -0.6 front camber and -1.0 rear and drive the toy like it's meant to be driven :-)

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

I got 27k out of my OEM Michelins and was driving on the tread wear bars for the last 7k. Replaced them last week with 215/45R17 General Altimax HP's. So far liking them a lot. Weigh 1 pound less than OEM's. 55,000 mile tread wear, 4 year warranty on defects and 30 day free test drive. $465 balanced mounted with tax. Best warranty I could find on anything speed rated to 130 mph (H).

Wet traction - Greatly improved Road noise - About the same Ride quality - Greatly improved Dry traction - Can tell no difference Smooth rolling - Improved

Jim

2006 MX-5 Galaxy Gray Sport w/ suspension package, LSD, Goodwin Roadstersport Exhaust
Reply to
George Jetson

I put a set of Falken ZIEX 512's on our BMW when it was tie for new tires, and found them absolutely excellent handling and riding, especially for the price! Falken is owned by Sumitomo, and are becoming better known here now. Had an excellent value rating from a number of testing/reporting groups.

YMMV,

Stuart H. '91 Eunos Roadster JDM BRG.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Stuart H.

You might want to take a few moments to look at tirerack.com - they'll give you a *lot* of suggestions for new tires.

Are you sure you want to go with all-seasons? I've had a lot more fun with 4 high-performance summer tires and 4 Blizzaks for winter. And Tire Rack does offer wheel/tire packages at very reasonable prices.

No connection, just a satisfied customer. And that's for both Miatas that have owned me so far!

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

I understand the trade offs involved in going to an all-season tire over a summer-only tire but given where I live having a set of winter tires and wheels would be downright silly and wasteful. What I'm looking for is a set of the best all-seasons I can find -- ones that will give the best possible performance day-to-day in my own generally-benign weather but which would not let me down completely if I decided to do something silly like driving to Maine in November on a whim (which I've done). I'm also looking for a bit better tread life. Hitting the wear bars after 14,000 miles is just ridiculous given the price I have paid for the OEM-type Michelins.

I have been through a bewildering number of tire comparisons at tirerack.com but decided that some feedback here would be worth seeking. Often it seems to me that Tirerack offers so much information and so many brands and models that a decision becomes more difficult rather than easier. The last time I did that research I finally threw my hands up and bought another set identical to the OEM tires but promised myself to do better the next time around.

Reply to
John McGaw

A lot of people are buying the Falken ZE-912, the 512's replacement and reportedly an improvement in every way for street use such as you describe.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Guess it is time to start the comparisons and shopping all over again armed with new knowledge.

Reply to
John McGaw

I'd like to add a comment about Tirerack. If you want a wheel/tire package, they're hard to beat, if you want just tires and plan on mounting and balancing them yourself, they're pretty good, if you want tires and plan on paying for mounting and balancing their price is higher than you can get locally, at least here in Phoenix it is for the tires I've checked.

Reply to
XS11E

That last set of Michelin Pilots I bought were from TireRack and I found that the overall price having them drop-shipped to my local approved installer were at least $30 less per tire than any local dealer offered me. This is with everything included -- tires, road hazard insurance, shipping, balance, installation, et al. Not the saving I would like to see but since I don't have a mounting machine or balancer at my disposal I take what I can get. Of course it is possible that with other brands of tires the situation might well be reversed.

The Falken ZE-912 tires that Lanny mentioned come out to $469 all inclusive from my local dealer. Of course TireRack doesn't seem to sell that brand (from studying their list this might be the only brand they _don't_ sell) so I can't do a comparison.

Reply to
John McGaw

1010tires.com sell the Falken ZIEX 912's in 185/60/14 for CAN$64.99 each.

Stuart H.

Reply to
Stuart H.

$456.21 locally, including the free replacement warranty, $395.56 W/O. $465.92 from Tirerack, including all you mentioned.

I'll deal locally, thank you.

$437.39 here, including the free replacement warranty. $386.74 W/O.

Reply to
XS11E

snip..

Our ridiculous sales tax rate (state + local option) might account for a bit of the difference. Where are you located? I'm sure you have mentioned it before but I lose track of such things...

Reply to
John McGaw

I wish I had winter. Here in Florida it's summer tires all year round, and never any snow! I hate to sweat so much and I miss snow.

I just got my second set of T1-Rs. Believe it or not I got 45,000 miles out of the first set, and they still had a bit of tread left - between

1/16th and 1/8 of an inch. When the guy at Kaufmann's Tires told me I could get $100 off a set, even though their sale had ended the previous weekend, I jumped on it - $411 for four 195-50-15s, mounted, balanced, warranty, tax and all. They feel good and they're sticky as all get out.

yrs jp

Reply to
johnny p.

Phoenix, AZ. Sales tax is 8.3%

The better price may be the presence of Discount Tire Company who offers good prices, GREAT service and, equally important, keeps the other tire dealers honest!

Reply to
XS11E

Oh well. Guess I won't be dropping by Phoenix, AZ just to pick up some tires then. I will probably be visiting a friend in Green Valley next Winter but there is no way I can stretch my tires for that long -- there will be steel hair sticking out of them by that time.

BTW: our sales tax is 9.25% if it makes you feel any better. And the bastards even charge it on food. Lack of an income tax is supposed to make us feel better but somehow it doesn't seem to balance very well. Especially since they _do_ tax investment income which hits retirees like me.

Reply to
John McGaw

Yes, but you're in Tennessee which is home of two of my favorite things, Dolly Parton.

Reply to
XS11E

I would have gone to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge while I was at The Gap, but roller coaster rides in November are not for me. I have heard that it is a very nice theme park/concert venue, maybe this year.....

Pat

Reply to
pws