vibration damper damage refund

A couple of months ago I posted about the vibration damper going bad on our 2000 E320 (40K miles) and damaging the oil pans, which resulted in a 1400 dollar repair. Our mechanic suggested we send a certified letter to MB USA suggesting that a part that had gone through six changes should have been recalled & that we would like some response. I did just that and yesterday received (from MB USA though dispensed through our local dealership--who BTW did not do the repair work) a check for the entire amount.

I must say I'm surprised and very pleased.

--AJ

Reply to
AJ

You should be surprised. That happened to my mother's car, caused over $4500 in damage and all MB has done is give her the runaround and stonewalled her!! I have heard that many, many others are out there in the same fix that she's in. Count your blessings, you are one that got lucky.

Dave HD

Reply to
Dave HD

Dave, it may be that I am lucky, but then again it may be that I handled this in a very delicate and deliberate way. I'd be happy to share details about my letters, etc, in private email.

--AJ

Reply to
AJ