W116 help ?

Hi all, I have a 230 123 motor with a 4 speed manual , wondering if it will be a hard install to put it in a W116 both are 1977 's. Any help or comments appreciated, Jim

Reply to
<benz831nospam

You may have issues fitting it. What car do you have, if a 280SE then you should check to make sure that a 230 transmission will fit a 280E. If you have a 350 or 450 then I very much doubt that it will work.

Reply to
Al Abbasi

You expect a 2.3L motor to move a 116?

The 116's weight vs. the 2.3L's power is too high; i.e. 3800 lbs / 100 HP = 38 lbs/HP This will be dangerously slow.

Comparison: A '97 E320 weighs about 3,550 lbs and has a 217 HP six:

3550/217 = 16 lbs/HP
Reply to
T.G. Lambach

That is far more power than the some of the diesels ever had - 240D has ~60hp and similar torque to the 2.3l gas engine. And those cars wieghed just as much. There were smaller diesels in some markets, 200D and 220D. Even slower.

Kevin Rhodes

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

I would like to see how you fab in the clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal :-D Is this the carbed M115 engine or the fuel injected M102 that you are throwing in?Photos when you are done would be great to see:-)

Reply to
CaptainW116

Well, a 300 diesel moves a 116 the 4 cyl is a 230 the 6 cyl is a 280 as it is now with the 280 it gets 0-60 in 11 secs. The 300sd is 0-60 in 19

Reply to
<benz831nospam

The w 116 that I have now , has a 4 speed manual tranny in it as it is, so I won't have to fab in the clutch master it is already there, the 230 is carbed single carb motor

Reply to
<benz831nospam

What model 116 is this? I have wanted to add a manual to one of my

116's for quite some time and was not aware of a manual transmission offered.

Here are some different ratios of differentials to counter sluggish acceleration from the 4 cylinder.

280S,SE 3.69 300SD 3.07 450SE,SEL 3.06 450SE,SEL 2.65

Hope this proves useful :-)

Reply to
CaptainW116

Ah ha!! There is a manual transmission in the W116 :-) Did a extensive search and found out myself!! So you have/had a 3.5 litre M116 in there?If so,that

230 engine will bolt right up(same transmission).Now I must find a M116 engine and manual trans just cuz !
Reply to
CaptainW116

Dear Cap, The car is a 1978 280se with a 6 cyl fuel injected M116 motor, I believe, I have honestly been in thousands of benz's as I sell used parts and have been thru bone yards coast to coast and this is the first manual 116 that I have seen. a rare bird indeed. I don't know the whole history of the car, but I am sure that the manual tranny was factory. Will the 230 bolt up to the 280 tranny? Someone told me that the 4 cyl and 6 cyl splines are different thicknesses. Jim P.S. I will keep my eyes open for a manual 116 for ya, maybe they are indigenous to Texas,lol, Jim

Reply to
<benz831nospam

If you are referring to the straight 6 then that is a M110 engine and not a M116 because a M116 is a V8.The

4 cylinder M115 will bolt right in.The M110 uses the same transmission as the M115 and that being a W4B 025 .Very nice find and I must say I am a bit,oh who am I kiddin', VERY envious.Best of luck :-D

Yes,please keep an eye out for a manual transmission for me.I would really love to have one!!

Reply to
CaptainW116