Are brake and tail light one and the same?

I opened up the tail assembly of my 2002 JGC Laredo to change the brake light bulb and it appears there is actually one bulb for both the brake and tail light? My tail lights go on with the headlights but when the lights are off the left brake light does not light. Sounds like an electrical issue? I've seen a few posts seeming to indicate that in some searches I've done.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael Rosen

Look at the bottom of the bulb! You will see two round "Greyish"dots on the base... There are two filliments in the bulb, one for the brake lamp and one for the tail lamp! If one or the other is burnt out then replace the comlpete light bulb unit.

Reply to
Socks

If it's a dual contact bulb then one of the filiments could be broken or the contacts worn.

DougW

Thanks! I'll check it out in the morning.

I looked up the bulb

and it does look like it's a doublefilament (after double check> Look at the bottom of the bulb!

Reply to
Michael Rosen

Reverse should be it's own bulb in all systems. Brake and turn signal share the same bulb in U.S. and Canadian systems EU systems use a seperate brake and turn bulb.

Parking lamps vary among vendor, but as far as I've seen are also seperate from brake, turn, and backup.

Reply to
DougW

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the same bulb *type*.

Reply to
Michael Rosen