W201 190E Air Filter Query

Hey there.

I'm looking for a K&N air filter for my '91 model 190E (1800cc) I have checked K&Ns website and they list a filter for a 190 (carburetted) but not the 190E (injected) anyone know if it will fit? The dimensions looked pretty similar as far as could recall.

Many Thanks in advance.

Dave

dave snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtinternet.com

Reply to
MisterD

Where do you live? The 190E carbed engine is 1900cc. The 190E injected engine is 2300cc [in the USA].

Reply to
Karl

Reply to
MisterD

Here in the USA, we only got the 190E 2.3 and 190E 2.6. We also got the 190E

16v

Are you sure about it being a 1800? The whole idea about the 190 series was it came as a 1900 cc engine.

Reply to
Karl

There was a fuel injected 1.8L version made during the end of the Mercedes production run, but they were never sent to the U.S., mostly to the UK and Australia.

Reply to
MTI

1800cc was a company car tax break-point in UK, lots of 1.6-2.0l cars grew 1.8 versions including the W201.

K&N filters are mostly a bad idea too :)

Alistair J Murray

Why is that?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

The "controversy" about K&N filters and Mercedes engines is that there have been cases of the engine MAF sensors being contaminated and requried replacement due to the filter's oil. Most, if not all, of these problems can be traced back an owner or shop using too much of the filter oil on the filter, under the theory that "more is better."

Which leads to the question of managed risk. There is always the potential for excess oil on the filter if not carefully applied and is there a justification for that risk given the performance gain, if any? Another way to look at it is . . . would you rather wear new underwear every 6 months, throwing away the old, and getting a new pair. . . or wear the same underwear for 6 months, send it to be cleaned, with the hope that you did it right, then wear it for another 6 months?

Reply to
MTI

GIven those two options I would prefer to go without :~)

Reply to
Martin Joseph