High Flow Air Filter for MGB?

The later model MGB air filter assembly is terribly restrictive. Does anyone make a better flowing air filter that will fit on the stock carb? I went to K&N's website, but they didn't have anything listed other than a cartridge for the stock assembly. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Don't know if this may help?

I've heard good things about the 'pancake' type.

Cheers S~

Keith Stelter wrote:

Reply to
sshingler

The problem is that the throttle return spring hooks onto the air cleaner housing, so you'd have to rig up something else if you went to a different type. Come to think of it, I don't believe that I've ever seen the Z-S carb with anything but the stock airbox. Frankly, if you really want to improve airflow, replace the single carb with 2 SU's from the earlier B's.

Dan D '65 B Tourer Project '76 B Tourer Driver Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Am I wrong about the stock filter assembly restricting airflow? It just looks like a VERY poor design. It might actually flow way more air than the little motor needs. This car is pretty much a beater, and I'm not going to spend $1,000.00 on it changing the intake, exhaust, and carbs.

Reply to
Keith Stelter

No, I don't think you're wrong - it's just that the whole set-up is crap, with the combined intake-exhaust manifold, single carb, catalytic converter - there is so much restriction there that I don't see changing the air filter system making any difference at all..... You would probably get the same amount of improvement by simply removing the 'tennis racket' section of the stock airbox and enlarging the hole that it fits into; keeping the cylindrical portion with the stock air filter. Save some $$ that way, and not have to mess with the throttle spring....

Dan D '76 B Tourer '65 B Tourer Project Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Hy, after a long search I found the right K&N for my `79 US-MGB with HS4 carb. (K&N High-Flow Airfilter No.56-9320) Everything work well with them.

so long

*m*

"Keith Stelter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1149733559 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net...

Reply to